Budget road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Shame no one would want to ride it, even you given it’s for spares :whistle:

For me, it's a duplicate machine and a useful source of parts that are now becoming scarce. It means I can keep one or more of my other bikes running in original condition long term. When you run stuff that went out of production 30+ years ago you have to consider future parts availability. I won't scrap the frame, so it could potentially go back on the road in future but just not in it's original spec.

With all the talk about bike shortages and sky high secondhand prices, it's rather odd that I've just managed to nab a nice late 80's 531 spares machine for twenty squid. I should get my hands on it next week.^_^
Where do you find these gems?? I could look for years and not find owt up ere

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Where do you find these gems?? I could look for years and not find owt up ere

It's just a question of being patient and keeping your eyes open. Bargains have been few and far between this year, no question, but there is always the odd one that gets overlooked by others.
I had seen an almost identical bike sell only a few days previously for four times what I paid. No rhyme or reason; the other one attracted interest, the one I picked up didn't. Mine came from a very wealthy neighbourhood, possibly where there are few local potential buyers of old steel bikes. The sort of place where people tend to shun secondhand goods and always buy new. I've had other real bargains from similarly well-heeled areas. In a rough area, you've got more people looking for secondhand stuff, so ironically prices can be higher than in an area where's there's plenty of money about.

It's just a question of being patient and keeping your eyes open. Bargains have been few and far between this year, no question, but there is always the odd one that gets overlooked by others.
I had seen an almost identical bike sell only a few days previously for four times what I paid. No rhyme or reason; the other one attracted interest, the one I picked up didn't. Mine came from a very wealthy neighbourhood, possibly where there are few local potential buyers of old steel bikes. The sort of place where people tend to shun secondhand goods and always buy new. I've had other real bargains from similarly well-heeled areas. In a rough area, you've got more people looking for secondhand stuff, so ironically prices can be higher than in an area where's there's plenty of money about.
It’s more where to look, I don’t like flea bay and see little on other websites

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Never had any significant issues with eBay. I attempt to screen out any dodgy looking vendors before buying, by scrutinising their previous feedback history, what else they tend to sell, and how long they have been a member on the site. Another thing I consider is the location of the listing. For example, I am less likely to hit the button if not 100% happy if the vendor is in Edmonton than I am if they are in Epsom. That's not to say there aren't any dodgy characters in nice areas, but in my general experience of life people in million pound properties don't risk their reputations flogging stolen £25 bikes whereas someone in a rented bedsit with a precarious McJob and no assets might not care because they have little to lose.

OP
OP
M

moldova

Hello everyone. I was offered two models of bicycles Jamis bike, model CODA S3 and Giant bike, model ESCAPE 3 COMFORT. I really wanted to know the opinion of experts about which of the bicycles is better. I mean technical characteristics, safety, etc. Thanks in advance to everyone who answers me.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The two bikes are similar apart from the frames, the Jamis is steel and the Giant aluminium and the brakes, the Giant having cable operated discs (2021) and the Jamis V rim brakes. Discs will give slightly better wet weather stopping. Both frames will have a similar weight. Others specs are identical.
Tyres are nearly the same size and will offer good comfort, even off road, although puncture resistance will be poor, but that is a given on bikes at this price.
The Giant is arguably a slicker package with internal routed cables and nice colour scheme. Buy either with confidence, could be down to which store offers better after sales help or is nearer to you or which colour you prefer.

Last edited:

monkers

Veteran
Hello everyone. I was offered two models of bicycles Jamis bike, model CODA S3 and Giant bike, model ESCAPE 3 COMFORT. I really wanted to know the opinion of experts about which of the bicycles is better. I mean technical characteristics, safety, etc. Thanks in advance to everyone who answers me.

You'll likely be happy with either of them. You could just buy on price, or just by appearance, both include budget pedals to at least get you started. The steel frame may potentially last more years, but the aluminium bike is probably a bit lighter, will last a long time, and is a consideration if you ride somewhere with hills. It looks like both bikes will take bottle cages, mudguards and racks if required.

My preference would be for the Giant for the likely lighter weight, the slightly better appearance, and those disc brakes are likely to enhance resale values further down the line if you ever choose to sell it.

I'd also look to warranty conditions, and any free servicing arrangements before deciding.

Top Bottom