Budget wheelset for Genesis Equilibrium 20

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I've picked up an Equilibrium 20 in decent working order, apart from the wheels which are tired to say the least. It's going to be my partners commuter, but as it only cost £450, I'm unwilling to spend too much on the wheels.

My current thoughts are Prolite Bortolla A21W or Pacenti Brevet wheelsets, both of which can be had for circa £200 new. Any thoughts or obvious alternatives I've missed, or do I just give in and buy something from Malcolm Borg even though I'm tying not to let mission/budget creep happen again!

Russ

acuna_read

If you want to go obvious budget route then scour ebay/second hand for a pair of aksium discs. I know theyre heavy and not the best but I have them on my older Equilibrium and they just work, I'm not particularly easy on them either. They were normally around the £200 range new or half that used.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get some classic looking hand builts from Spa?
I don’t think Aksiums are very serviceable or repairable spoke wise for example

OP
OP
russ.will

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Is your name Canute?

Don't fight the inevitable ;)
I have boss who thinks shouting at things makes things happen. Sometimes he's right. All of the time he's annoying.

Having been to The Cycle Clinic and met the force of nature that is Malcolm Borg, I'm inclined to spend my money with him, so you're probably right. I went to get a forkset crown turned down 1/8" and came away with a bottom bracket and headset threads cleaned, bored and trued for precisely zero extra cash.

Now I think about it; I owe him. Bugger. Talked myself into it.

Russ

Top Bottom