Buffs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadiewill

Temperatures gonna be mighty cold here tomorrow so I dug out the buff tonight. I might give it a go tomorrow on the training ride as Ive seen quite a lot of shops advertising them so they must be alright. I would have thought theyre a bit bulky - anyone use one??

Yup. I've got one of the reflective ones. Quite thin but just enough to take the sting out of the cold, especially if you pull it up over your ears and chin. :angry:

longers

Legendary Member
This will be my first winter using one but am very happy so far - had it since March.

They're pretty versatile and it's amazing how warm one round my neck keeps me. Had it over my ears tonight.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
User3143 said:
full face balaclava, roughly £5 from the local army&navy

In those halcyon commuting days of early '80s London, many of us wore balaclavas and skiing goggles in the winter. Worked a treat.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Got one from Decathlon on Saturday - £6.95!!

It's not a branded Buff, but does exactly the same and has similar packaging showing the ways it can be worn. I got a thermal one which has a section of fleede at one end, kept my ears warm a treat this morning, only had to adjust the helmet slightly to allow it to fit under.

Fantastic!!

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Had one since last March, wore it once and found it too warm - and steamed my specs up! Going to try it tomorrow though as my cheeks, nose and ears were a-glowing this morning!

Maizie

Guru
snapper_37 said:
steamed my specs up!
I find that I have to position it quite carefully in order to not get my specs steamed up. If I have it up over my nose, then when I breathe out, all the breath comes out of the top of the buff and over my glasses. If I have the buff under my nose, it lays flatter so there's less breath-escape from the top, so no steamy specs - but a cold nose.
My buff has a string through it for tightening it, so next time (tomorrow morning?) I am going to experiment with whether having it tighter means I can keep my nose warm and not have steamy specs. I like having it higher up because then it can stop my ears getting frostbitten too :smile:

Contact lenses and laser surgery are both not available options, before anyone goes that way! ;)

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Hi Maize, yes I have exactly the same problems as you experience. I will have a go at making it as tight as possible (without lynching myself) and see how it goes. I've got a ruddy complexion anyone but being called effing Noddy this morning has really too the p*ss! ;)

GrahamG

Guru
I find it a bit warm doubled over unless it's verging on freezing so I cut one in half so I can have one bit round my neck and one on my head.

Mind you, I'm the type that gets too hot in a woolly hat in the depths of winter.

Top Bottom