Bugga!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bugga! Feck! Bugga! 2 visits from the p*ncture fairy this morning and a broken spoke as well all thanks to South Lanarkshire Council and their road non-maintenance:angry:

Set out about 8am for a planned 55 miler. Gone about 5 miles when a hit a pothole, Bang!! Tyre straight down. Stopped and put in a new tube and pumped up the tyre as hard as I could with the cr@ppy minipump I have (must get a better one) and continued on my way. 3 miles up the road I hit another hole!! This time not only is the tyre flat but I've broken a spoke as well!! Had to phone 'her indoors' to come and get me in the car and she wasn't happy as she'd still been in bed. In hindsight I could have probably avoided the first pothole but the second one was in a shaded dip in the road and I was doing about 25mph at the time.

Rant over

PS - can anyone recommend a decent minipump?

Noodley

arranandy said:
PS - can anyone recommend a decent minipump?

No but I can recommend an good optician :blush:

I usually carry a micro pump and CO2 pump with 2 refills.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Thanks for the reminder- must get a new pump since I suspect my Specialized minipump is bollocks for getting a decent amount of air into my 23mm's (put it this way- I thought I'd do a "dry run" and deflated one of my tyres, I got fed up and my arm started to hurt so I finished it off with the track pump anyway).

Blackburn airstick - just bought one. Have CO2 too, and just jettisoned a Topeak Micro... (nearly bought a Spesh micro thingy - phew!)

Renard

arranandy said:
Thanks Renard

The first incident happened on the old A74 (I think its now called the B7078) just at Lesmahagow and the second was coming down the Glen Taggart. I have posted a report on the Fillthathole website

The old A74 is getting worse and worse. It was always bad at Auldton (a guy in my club once broke a Zipp wheel there) and is now bad either side of the bridge at the Gow. Glen taggart doesn't bear thinking about what carnage could be wreaked if you come off on that hill!

Anyway good luck...

BTW I think you might be in the same club as me. I noticed something on a club thread about the Arran sportive which made me think that you may be one and the same person.

Renard

alecstilleyedye said:
learning to bunnyhop has saved me a few nasties. only works at speed and on the flat. get off the saddle and simultaneously pull up on the bars and the pedals (assuming clipped in or clipless).

I once totally wrecked a wheel bunnyhopping on a road bike. Admittedly I was going downhill. I noticed that there was a pothole just in front of a cattle grid and automatically bunnyhopped the pothole, except I landed on the cattle grid which dented the rim beyond repair.

Top Bottom