Building a bike shed/shelter from scaffolding.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello folks

I am building a bike shed - I live up a set of steps and it's a PITA to carry a bike and panniers up to my workshop.

I have to get a planning application for something else I'm doing - I will be adding a 6x2 structure to the application. This is just for storing my bike from the worst of the weather.

I haven't got a particularly expensive day-to-day bike (my "nice" machines will still live indoors) and it's a low crime area. The route is the route home from a pub, though, so I will expect some sport type crime. So there will be a lock on the entrance to the shed and the bike will be locked inside with a decent ground anchor.

I want to use materials I have here already and I have a lot of scaffolding in funny lengths left by a previous owner of the house. My plan is to make a frame from the scaffolding and Kee Klamps and clad it externally with some waney edge boards I have already. The entrance to the shed will be a steel garden gate fixed to the end of the shelter with kee klamp gate pins. I have the roof materials too, which will simply be felted cladding As I have almost everything left over from the house work, the total cost need only be the price of some concrete and ballast.

My plan was to build the whole structure suspended slightly above the existing concrete floor. I think this will keep condensation negligible and there won't be issues with damp travelling up the poles.

Do you think this is a workable solution? I have another property with an Asgard shed and I think with the right padlock this will be at least as secure. When it comes down to it I don't think Asgard sheds are as good as they are made out to be and they are ugly. Something made of nice, rustic looking timber would be better. But should I give it a floor? I only want to keep rain off and drunks out.

Slick

Guru
Scaffolding is perfect, although I don't like the clamps, as they are a bit light weight. I built a belter for my jet ski, that was ramped and just ranch boarded. I don't have any pictures unfortunately, but it worked a treat. :okay:

Jameshow

Veteran
Sounds a plan.

Use u bolts to attach you arris rails.

I don't think you need worry about damp I'd think about concreting in the posts.

Could use a pallet to keep stuff off the ground?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
On ebay, I am looking at about £35 for all the necessary fittings. Then the price of the concrete. Shouldn't break the bank provided the planning goes ahead.

Fair enough. Given the current price of CLS timber, maybe tubular steel frame is the way to go. When I was using Kee Systems' stuff, it was mighty expensive.

OP
OP
C

chris667

Guru
To be fair, there is a lot of knock-off Kee Klamp "compatible" stuff out there. I have a pair of the hinge pins for a garden gate I'm installing. They look good enough to me.

Were you buying them, or was there some sort of council contract? I am shocked at how different the prices of some of this stuff can be.

Top Bottom