Building a rat bike BUILT - photos as the end :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Took it to local halfords as i know the mechanic is a good un , £10 to get the old one out .Worth it to me to save much cussing and he did say he used a big lever to get it out , they do have a desk mounted vice/ workstand though whereas my lidl stand want holding it tight enough as i was applying leverage and beding my tools and broke the little steadying rod thing with torque i was putting through the frame.

I’ve mentioned this before on another topic but I’ve successfully managed to remove a seized BB by taking both wheels off the bike and putting the BB in the vice and use the bike frame as leverage, same principle works with jammed seat posts.

Good job you’ve done there, that’s come out really well.

12boy

Guru
This is why heavy grease or anti-seize compound on BB threads is a good idea. I bought a cheap mini-velo from BikesDirect and a folder not so long ago and took the hubs, headset apart and bottom bracket out of the bikes to see a miniscule amount of clear grease, like Vaseline, in the hubs and headset and zero on the BB threads. Grease is cheap and generous greasing of parts after cleaning and before reassembly can make you very glad if they have to be disassembled later.

Top Bottom