Building a (very) micro business plan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bird boxes are easy to make sell well and give a lot of pleasure to people. They can be made from a large range of objects as you can do sparrow boxes from large items. The BTO give plans which you don't need to stick too, ( the birds don't) but do give the critical measurements such as hole size. Bat boxes as well. BTO also give info on where to place them. Really smart ones sell for quite a high price, so making a range rather than a standard format can be good.

Why didn't I think of that? Brilliant, thanks...

Gillstay

Über Member
Owl box with platform is 50 notes. Wren boxes are very easy out of scraps. Alloy teapots with a base plate to hang it off will do .

Owl box with platform is 50 notes. Wren boxes are very easy out of scraps. Alloy teapots with a base plate to hang it off will do .

I just googled those two and ny goodness but they go for a lot of money; some are clearly CNC made but some are obviously just cut on a table saw... the small wren box would work better than the larger owl boxes because we don't have very big pieces of wood, especially not weather resistant wood.

Gillstay

Über Member
It doesn't always need to be weather resistant as often people pop them up under gutters and in lean too's and sheds. Over night roots can be made from many things. Just somewhere they can tuck in away from the Owls. I often watched a Blue Tit and then a Great Tit nipping into one I had made from hollowing out a breeze block.

It doesn't always need to be weather resistant as often people pop them up under gutters and in lean too's and sheds. Over night roots can be made from many things. Just somewhere they can tuck in away from the Owls. I often watched a Blue Tit and then a Great Tit nipping into one I had made from hollowing out a breeze block.

Triuble is I can't know where people will use them, and non-waterproof plywood sprouts like a fan if it gets wet. Solid pine will work if we're careful, and remember that it's been kiln dried to interior humidity so having it outdoors means it will twist somewhere...

Gillstay

Über Member
Have you no way of informing or labelling your boxes as needing cover or full weather proofed. We have used slate, old sheets of alloy to make a large roof to protect the box underneath. Roofing felt, off cuts from Butyl pond liners work well.

Top Bottom