Building an MB on a budget, Recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EasyCrank

Über Member
Hey everyone,

In recent years I've been exclusively a road biker but have recently been kindly donated a Specialized Hardrock 2009 mountain bike Frame from a friend.

Over the next couple of months I want to build this bike up so I can start taking it to some local mb tracks. The only problem is, I'm on a limited budget and have no idea what would be a good starting point for the rest of my components.

A few friends have recommended to me to keep an eye on ebay as you can pick up some good deals, But I still need to know what I'm looking for.

So, does anyone have any recommendations on any of the other components for my new project? Whether you can detail the entire ideal set up for me down to each model number, or simply a couple of good affordable-but-good brands to watch out for, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If minimum cost for maximum functionality is the objective then the way forward is not to build up the Hardrock frame, but to sell it (you might get close to £70 depending on condition) and buy a complete bike. Building a bike up from components, whether new or old, is just about the most expensive way to arrive at a complete, working bike unless you have unlimited amount of time at zero cost to you.

Generally the cheapest bike for a particular functionality is a complete secondhand bike (if you have patience and know how to pick). The second cheapest way is to get something new that is exceptionally good value (e.g. from Decathlon depending on your budget and intended use).

The key benefit of building a bike from frame up is the experience and sense of achievement at the end, at the cost of time and money (for the short term, although it may save you money in the long run having learnt to diy). For that buying a complete component donor secondhand is certainly a valid way forward, but when you get it you might ask yourself why not ride that instead...

Hope it helps!

Top Bottom