Building bike or Buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've built most of my bikes TBH.... take the time, get the tools (extra cost but worth it)..... up to you.

I bought my MTB off the shelf - it got pulled to bits, re-greased and re-built. Bought my Fixed off my LBS, but it was built by the 'shop owner' and I didn't need to do anything as it was all put together perfectly.

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Ordered A 60" 700mm Frame from Wiggle today, going to use the parts from my Raleigh pioneer Urban 2 to help build the bike then upgrade as i go along.

Using wheels, brakes cables, derailliers and handle bars (butterfly) and brakes and gear changers) and saddle

Will need to get Stem (halfords do an adjustable one for £20) and bottom bracket plus chain set (teeth dont look good on my old set)

Bottom braket and chain set i could use some guidence on never bought these before.

lengh of crank also which is best for touring 170 or 175

sparkyman

GrahamG

Guru
Sparkyman - you can always put a wanted up once you know what parts you're after, include any bits that you feel might be wise to upgrade from the start.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
GrahamG said:
Sparkyman - you can always put a wanted up once you know what parts you're after, include any bits that you feel might be wise to upgrade from the start.

yep, there're a few parts there i can help out with as my changes to Midge bars are completed. Off the top of my head, adjustable stem, butterfly bars, 9 speed shifter pods, 9 speed dual control shifter pods, seperate brake levers, various other stems....always worth asking around

GrahamG

Guru
I found it took a few years of cumulative bicycle geek knowledge to be able to knock them up cheaper and better - you need to know what you're looking for!

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Surly is now Built :ohmy: had to get expert help as could not (read did not want to) fit Bottom bracket myself and had to order in head set and cable stops.

Plus bike shop said they would build it for me for £25.00 quid (sam Taylor Blackpool)
So picked up this morning and have now fitted the Butterfly bars With a new Rubber grip From SJS cycles (much better then the foam stuff i used to have) Mud guards and rack now also fitted.

Took it for a spin :biggrin: big grin so much more smooth over the rough road surface then my other bikes.

Cany wait to do some proper miles on sunday..

Sparkyman

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
sparkyman said:
Took it for a spin :ohmy: big grin so much more smooth over the rough road surface then my other bikes.
Good work fella - they do ride nice.

I stuck 42c Conti City Contacts on mine, and it's plush, to say the least.

Whack a pic in the photo gallery once you get chance...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I have just started to build up a bike from a frame which I have been given, I see it as that opportunity to get a bike specced the way I want it and to learn about bike building.

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Sparkymans Surly LHT
24557_423705631062_623936062_5867181_3745151_n.jpg

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Nice - you need to have a look at the line those mudguards are taking, but that's a super looking bike. I'm warming to the "Blacktacular" colour.

GrahamG

Guru
Superb! From birth of thread through to fruition - I'd post pics up of mine but it's about to go through it's second change of set up (I want to make sure I'm 100% happy before taking it on tour for three months!).

You just need to take a hacksaw to those mudguard stays; looks like they need an inch or so trimming off.

Top Bottom