Building Muscle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
It's taken a fair while, but my leg muscles have started to noticeably build over the last few weeks.

I've put this down to a combination of the cycle commute and a huge increase in my protein intake (after someone told me to increase my protein intake).

I've always been a carb and fat freak and I'd be a happy man if I were sentenced to spend the rest of my life eating chip butties.

But over the last few months, I've been eating a lot of Chicken and Pilchard (not at the same time).

I now have muscles superimposed over the muscles I never had before.

Another benefit is that my weak left knee is no longer weak (I used to hobble when carrying heavy things).

Is it just me, or have other new born cyclists noticed this as well?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll build muscle cycling and adding the protein helps. Watch the carbs, especially if north of 40 ! I need to cut mine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As a lifelong cyclist, I can't get into any skinny jeans no matter how big the waist !! I have to at least get straight cut. And I'm only an average cyclist - normal folk don't have much thighs !

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
As a lifelong cyclist, I can't get into any skinny jeans no matter how big the waist !! I have to at least get straight cut. And I'm only an average cyclist - normal folk don't have much thighs !
That's what made me ask the question. With the lockdowns, there's a lot of stuff I haven't worn in over a year.

I tried on my favourite going out trousers for a trip to the Fairway Buoy beer garden tomorrow and I noticed that they were stupidly tight on my thighs.

I'll just have to go in my undies and hope that nobody notices.

1619276466233.png

intereresting thread start.
was thinking of asking about post-ride protein which I gather is a good idea.
What do folk recommend?

I probably don't eat anywhere near enough protein.
And to be honest sometimes wonder if there's much of anything at all in the chicken commonly sold here - have the idea that the chickens the meat came from probably weren't exactly full of beans/in training for the chicken tour.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I really ought to try eating more protein. I have been vegetarian since 1983 and am not sure that I have enough in my diet. I would say that I am not as muscular as I probably should be for someone of my height and overall build.

I'll write down everything that I eat for a week and try to calculate it, but it might be an idea just to make an effort to increase my protein intake. I don't think there is any chance that I would eat too much of it.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
intereresting thread start.
was thinking of asking about post-ride protein which I gather is a good idea.
What do folk recommend?
I probably don't eat anywhere near enough protein.
And to be honest sometimes wonder if there's much of anything at all in the chicken commonly sold here - have the idea that the chickens the meat came from probably weren't exactly full of beans/in training for the chicken tour.

It started for me when a bloke I work with told me to start eating more protein. He should know, he's a local weightlifting champion.

His advice for top protein sources were chicken, pilchards, eggs and milk (not all at the same time).

He also told me to avoid red meat in excess.

In his opinion, eating protein just after a workout, helps build and maintain muscle. I can testify to that because I have been building muscle since I began following his advice.

Just before a workout, he fuels up with something simple like oats or a banana. After the workout, he consumes protein.

It kinda makes sense.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I really ought to try eating more protein. I have been vegetarian since 1983 and am not sure that I have enough in my diet. I would say that I am not as muscular as I probably should be for someone of my height and overall build.

I'll write down everything that I eat for a week and try to calculate it, but it might be an idea just to make an effort to increase my protein intake. I don't think there is any chance that I would eat too much of it.
My daughter is a vegan and a county netball player. She eats a lot of beans, lentils and peas. No meat at all.

She's built like an amazon with the energy of a thousand suns.

My daughter is a vegan and a county netball player. She eats a lot of beans, lentils and peas. No meat at all.

She's built like an amazon with the energy of a thousand suns.
thanks for your reply above but as a near dietary imbecile am a bit confused.
You recommend chicken, pilchards, eggs and milk - does the daughter eat those?

I eat a fair amount of veg - relatively little red meat.

Also - is there much in peas?

(I stress I have no desire to be a male amazon - just that not having done many long rides since the second lockdown started just before christmas and feeling the effects, I would like to get a bit stronger)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i havent worn jeans in years i cant get them past mid thigh unless i go a size up in waist and then there way too loose to wear without bunching

Drago

Legendary Member
Muscle is like Jumanji - mention it 3 times and Drago shall appear!

This is my protein of choice. I get it cheap from costco and get through not quite 2 a month...

Legs are my weak point, so as part of my routine I have specific leg days. Leg curls, extensions and weighted calf raises are my thing.

In fact, Im a calf raise loon. Waiting for the bus? Calf raises off the edge of the kerb. On a phone call? 30 single leg calf raises a side. Standing outside the school in my muscle vest and shorts waiting for Mini D? Stand for 15 minutes with my heels just off the floor to give the calves a bit of stress, and give the yummy mummies distraction from my permanent lat spread.

BEEFCAKE!

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
thanks for your reply above but as a near dietary imbecile am a bit confused.
You recommend chicken, pilchards, eggs and milk - does the daughter eat those?
She is totally animal free and she lives in rubber flip flops (no leather).

Vegans have no problem getting protein. Nuts and Legumes are packed with them.

What's often missing from a vegan diet is Iron.

The best source of dietary iron is red meat which is not vegan.

It's a quandary.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Muscle is like Jumanji - mention it 3 times and Drago shall appear!

This is my protein of choice. I get it cheap from costco and get through not quite 2 a month...

View attachment 585556

Legs are my weak point, so as part of my routine I have specific leg days. Leg curls, extensions and weighted calf raises are my thing.

In fact, Im a calf raise loon. Waiting for the bus? Calf raises off the edge of the kerb. On a phone call? 30 single leg calf raises a side. Standing outside the school in my muscle vest and shorts waiting for Mini D? Stand for 15 minutes with my heels just off the floor to give the calves a bit of stress, and give the yummy mummies distraction from my permanent lat spread.

BEEFCAKE!
im the opposite legs like trunks and weedy arms even when i worked out a lot , i coyuld full stack the leg machines but the arms i had to work on

Top Bottom