building my own wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Toying with the idea of building my own wheels anyone had a bash at it ? Dunno if its worth the investment of buying the jig etc or just buy a set of handbuilts ?

robbarker

Have a look at Roger Musson's ebook at www.wheepro.co.uk. Apart from being an excellent guide to building your first wheels, it also shows you how to make most o the tools you need at minimal cost. The very first set of wheels I built to Roger's instructions remain perfectly true and haven't needed touching since they were finished.

Give it a go - you won't regret it.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
All you need is a spoke key, you can build them perfectly well in the forks. I have a wheel jig and they are much more convenient, but until you decide whether it's for you or not it is not worth the expense.

yenrod

MrGrumpy said:
Toying with the idea of building my own wheels anyone had a bash at it ? Dunno if its worth the investment of buying the jig etc or just buy a set of handbuilts ?

I'm doing both; bought a pair of cheapos (R500's) & also getting a pair built up as you have tuse 3 lengths of spoke!

Hence its more cost effective to get them built up BUT I will be acquiring the 3 lengths of spoke in case any snap etc...as I can true etc...

ak88

My missus bought me a cheap Minoura jig as a present so want to put it to use by building a wheel and seeing how good or bad, easy or hard it is - only used it to true my own wheels.

Which sources on the web are good for spokes and nipples? I don't have an LBS being in London (closest are Evans and Cyclesurgery - so not your local friendly LBS).

e-rider

crappy member
Building wheels is not that difficult and it's really great knowing that you built them yourself. The problems come when selecting the correct spoke length for the hub/rim combo. DT swiss have a chart on their website that includes popular hubs and rims and will tell you the spoke length you need. Dishing the wheel takes some practice too. If you are generally competent with all things mechanical then give it a try - if not, buy a set a factory built wheels or get your LBS to build them for you.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
i like this spoke length calculator

http://www.bikeschool.com/spokes/

and this spoke and rim shop

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/

take your rime and you'll get there. 6-8hrs isn't outrageous for your first wheel.
you don't need to get it done in a day, you could spend 10 evenings at it if you wish, i find it best to come back another day. just be sure that you're entering the right info into the calc. you know, shoot in shoot out. when you place your order with spa, you can also just confirm with them that the spokes you worked out you need are the same that they'd use for that rim/hub combo

Top Bottom