Built to last..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Why is nothing built properly anymore?.

Had a go at fixing our shower this morning as Temperature Knob was slipping round.

Took front off shower and removed the knob (ooh err) and just look how thin the blooming thing is..

You can't buy just one bit, need the whole front panel (cheers Redring).

Spent an hour digging about in the sheds and ended up sleeving it with an engine dowel, 100 times better than new..

Just a pain having to faf around, for sake of a bit more plastic they could have made a far more robust part.

Still random parts have come to the rescue again and saved us £150 for a new shower..

20220808_090432.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

Why is nothing built properly anymore?.

Where's the profit in it for them, design it so it has an infinite life you only sell one, design it for a finite life you sell multiple.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Where's the profit in it for them, design it so it has an infinite life you only sell one, design it for a finite life you sell multiple.

Yep, I suppose most wouldn't even bother trying to fix it and just buy a new one!.

CXRAndy

Guru
Built in obsolescence. It makes big profits for corporations, but it's far from 'green'.

If companies supplied parts and backup to their products l-landfill and waste wouldn't be so prevalent.

We have as a western nation, become a throw away society. Which propagates through all aspects of life. An obvious one is, folk discard fast food wrappers out of vehicle windows or flytip.

A massive bugbear of mine littering😡

si_c

Guru
Basic plastic mouldings are really cheap, to do it properly would require either a metal part (not ideal with water and electricity admittedly) or some thing like glass reinforced plastic, both of which are considerably more expensive.

As noted above, why bother making it last when that costs more and most people will just buy a new shower.

We had the option of getting an electric shower when we did the bathroom before moving in, but decided that a fully plumbed shower was the better option, more expensive, but much longer lasting and repairable if a fault occurs.

D

Deleted member 26715

The Chinese have a lot to answer for :smile:

They are only pandering (see what I did there) to the greed of the Western corporations to make things as cheap as possible to maximise profit & stick 2 fingers up at the environment.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Chinese have enough Corporations of their own who are greedy for profit.
I'd agree about the 'sticking two fingers up'. They're quite good at that on a variety of issues.

Top Bottom