Bullocks & Heifers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was told that bulls warning you off will tend to stand sidewise, as if to say "look how big I am. You don't want to mess with me" and they are right, you don't !

I recall a couple of mildly comedic, bull encounters. We were walking along a road in the West of Ireland, rather reminiscent of where Father Ted was set, and saw a huge Charolais bull in the field behind a dry stone wall. He was eyeing us up but not otherwise concerned until we came to the gate, only there wasn't a gate ! My pal moo'd at him and he responded by pawing the ground. I took this as a bad sign and we moved on PDQ and the big fella lost interest thankfully, but even with the big placid and laid back beef bulls, winding them up is not a good idea.

Another occasion also in County Clare, I was on the back of a pal's motorbike and a herd of cows were coming along towards on the single track road, which they filled. He moved to the side and I got off to guide the cows around the bike so they didn't push it over. Then I saw a bull at the back, and he seemed to be doing the eye-rolling crazy anger thing. Worked out I could hop over the wall if needs be, but nervously held my ground. Eventually the all passed by, and behind the bull at the back was a lone five year boy who was in charge of bringing them along the road. I felt a little silly being worried.

Another occasion in West Wales, I was cycling along a single track road and a good speed and there was a lone bull in the field running alongside and occasionally butting the hedge to get at me. Despite my going full tilt, with adrenalin boost, he could easily keep up, and have time to pause to bash at the hedge, which thankfully was sound

What I intended to get across was that one advancing towards you with head lowered is not a good sign. It is a long time ago now but I worked on dairy farms with Ayrshire cows and Fresian bulls so have some practical knowledge which I do not think goes out of date.
Never came across the standing sideways thing but you may well be correct.
The Ayrshire cows are a bit like humans in some respects as some are quite placid but others can be a bit short tempered.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Never turn your back on one, and don't think you'll be able to outrun one either.

Quite correct and for short legged beasts they can certainly shift when they want to. I still remember when we were trying to corner a Fresian bull with a dead weight of nearly 30cwt that he could outrun us. I know the weight because he was soon after dead weight dog food.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
What I intended to get across was that one advancing towards you with head lowered is not a good sign. It is a long time ago now but I worked on dairy farms with Ayrshire cows and Fresian bulls so have some practical knowledge which I do not think goes out of date.
Never came across the standing sideways thing but you may well be correct.
The Ayrshire cows are a bit like humans in some respects as some are quite placid but others can be a bit short tempered.

I wasn't trying to contradict you, particularly given you have actual expertise, unlike me, a city boy, who's walked through the odd group of cattle from time to time,

That said, the standing sideways thing was told to me be a guy brought up on a farm who now keeps a herd of devon reds, and incidentally provides me with the finest beef I've ever tasted. Even he might merely be repeating a myth as he's only recently bought his own bull

C13CA4BE-BED4-40B2-BE24-AB40EFFE9B6F.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom