Bullocks & Heifers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gillstay

Über Member
Yes. let the dog run away. I always just admire the amazing creatures. Cows with cal

P1030296.JPG
ves I have worried about much more than bulls.

johnnyb47

Guru
Down on the farm I was never bothered by them.They were sometimes curious and mildly aggressive but they soon backed off if you shouted at them.If my dog was around though, they would go for him.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
They are by and large OK, if you use a bit of sense. Bullocks are curious and playful which is potentially hazardous as 20 playful and curious beasts each eighing 300kg isn't to be trifled with, but they mean no harm. A friend got chased on her early morning run through a field and got badly sliced up escaping through barbed wire within a hedge. Her fiancee who was more of a country boy was suitable supportive and comforted his bleedling girlfriend "you stupid girl. You should have waved your arms and shouted 'shoo!' to them", which though good advice could have been better phrased

Cows are more calm and laid back providing you are not percieved as bothering their calves - so look around where the calves are in relation to their mothers

Bulls can be nasty if alone, but if their with their ladies, just give them space and don't get between the bull and the cows and they'll likely be cool.

Cattle generally don't like dogs, so taking a dog through a field with cattle can be more problematic

Mr Celine

Discordian
Bullocks & Heifers.. 🐮

Today's walk..
Do they worry you if they're in your way whilst on public footpaths across fields?
They worry me on roads. One of my favourite loops goes over an unfenced road that usually has sheep in the 'field' but sometimes has cattle too. It's a twisting road and on a steep hill. If descending at speed you can round a corner to be confronted with a huge coo standing in the middle of the road. Brake hard, because they don't move. Not until you've come to a complete halt. Bxxxxrds.

Drago

Legendary Member
Wasn't it Charles Bronson - the prisoner, not the actor - that punched a cow and knocked it out?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Glengorm Castle where I trike sometimes feed highland cattle at the roadside about a mile short of the castle. I turn round if I see them at the roadside as they have large horns and even when just curious can cause damage.
Loch na Keal road also had a large herd which often wandered down the carraigeway but not seen any this year.

One thing nobody mentioned is that if a bull lowers his head and advances towards you back off but better not to run unless safety is close by.

classic33

Leg End Member
Glengorm Castle where I trike sometimes feed highland cattle at the roadside about a mile short of the castle. I turn round if I see them at the roadside as they have large horns and even when just curious can cause damage.
Loch na Keal road also had a large herd which often wandered down the carraigeway but not seen any this year.

One thing nobody mentioned is that if a bull lowers his head and advances towards you back off but better not to run unless safety is close by.
Never turn your back on one, and don't think you'll be able to outrun one either.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I was told that bulls warning you off will tend to stand sidewise, as if to say "look how big I am. You don't want to mess with me" and they are right, you don't !

I recall a couple of mildly comedic, bull encounters. We were walking along a road in the West of Ireland, rather reminiscent of where Father Ted was set, and saw a huge Charolais bull in the field behind a dry stone wall. He was eyeing us up but not otherwise concerned until we came to the gate, only there wasn't a gate ! My pal moo'd at him and he responded by pawing the ground. I took this as a bad sign and we moved on PDQ and the big fella lost interest thankfully, but even with the big placid and laid back beef bulls, winding them up is not a good idea.

Another occasion also in County Clare, I was on the back of a pal's motorbike and a herd of cows were coming along towards on the single track road, which they filled. He moved to the side and I got off to guide the cows around the bike so they didn't push it over. Then I saw a bull at the back, and he seemed to be doing the eye-rolling crazy anger thing. Worked out I could hop over the wall if needs be, but nervously held my ground. Eventually the all passed by, and behind the bull at the back was a lone five year boy who was in charge of bringing them along the road. I felt a little silly being worried.

Another occasion in West Wales, I was cycling along a single track road at a good speed and there was a lone bull in the field running alongside and occasionally butting the hedge to get at me. Despite my going full tilt, with adrenalin boost, he could easily keep up, and have time to pause to bash at the hedge, which thankfully was sound

Last edited:
Top Bottom