Bump.....TSSSSSSSSSSS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
yes to rain and dark being unhelpful but surely there's usually somewhere to hump it to with light, street light, bus shelter etc, shop doorway or said shelter gets you out of the rain too, front light can give you enough light at a pinch

I carry an old patched tube for emergencies, kit for routine, as others said, those fancy bits and bobs are fine but you've got to have a solid fall back

been plenty of posts on here about people using up two tubes on the same journey and then being stuck

AtmoLav

I don't know if it's just me, but I find just riding with low pressure a lot harder than with higher tyre pressures...

Tynan

Veteran
AtmoLav said:
I don't know if it's just me, but I find just riding with low pressure a lot harder than with higher tyre pressures...

yep, as hard as you can bear is quickest

Tynan said:
yep, as hard as you can bear is quickest

This is not technically correct AFAIK.

Running a tyre over pressured can increase its rolling resistence and reduce the amount of grip available. Slowing you down both in a straight line and in corners. For example a rider like me at 75kgs, 100psi rear and 90psi front on 700x25c tyres is pretty optimal.

I haven;t seen a change in my club run performance after moving to 25c from 23c except that that the bike is less twitchy and corners better, and not to mention is more comfortable.

PrettyboyTim

Last time I got a puncture I took Tynan's advice from a previous post and just repaired it while it was still in the wheel. It was very simple and didn't seem to take any longer than it would have taken me to switch the tube. I still have two tubes banging about in a pannier anyway though, just in case ;-)

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

Thanks for the advice guys ...il make sure i put some extra pressure in the tyres. I didnt come to work on the bike tonight cos i couldnt bear the thought of changing the innertube. This seems to be a major problem with me as one day i actually spent about an hour and a half trying to get a tyre off and back on again:blush:, snapping one level in the process and bending another.:biggrin: I moved to steel tyre levers but it didnt seem to make the job any quicker.:biggrin:

Do any of you have any useful tips for speedy inner tube changes???

neslon

probably stating the bleeding obvious, but take the wheel off, and before you try to get levers anywhere near it, work your way round pressing the tyre away from the rim - the pressure forces the clincher into the rim, and you can hear it ping away. Then it should be easy(ish)

mondobongo

Über Member
Got to Get Fit, steel tyre levers are nasty and could make a right mess of your rim. Have found Park Tools Tyre Levers to be pretty indestructible but usually only need 1 just to get the tyre coming off and rarely need 1 to get the tyre back on.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
bianco said:
The harder pumped up the better, your mate is wrong, really wrong, couldn't be more wrong.
He could have been more wrong if he'd said "Always cycle through cactus plantations as they protect you from punctures" :biggrin:

I'll get my coat.

Top Bottom