Burley Tandem - small/medium - £300 ONO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I bought this tandem from eBay during the 2020 lockdown, unseen and untested. Unfortunately it's just too big for me - I'm not tall or strong enough to handle it safely with my son on the back. (I'm 5'1). It's a beautiful bike - built in America and shipped over by its previous owners. It's in good condition and should be ridden instead of hidden away in my garage. I'm sad to sell it.

I don't know the official frame size but these measurements may help.
From frame just behind handlebar stem to ground - 31 inches.
Top tube just in front of captain's seat to ground - 28 inches
Top tube just in front of stoker's seat to ground - 25 inches
Would suit adult from 5'5 upwards ad captain and older child on the back.

Sensible offers accepted.

Attachments

• IMG_3466.JPG
    IMG_3466.JPG
    310.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3467.JPG
    IMG_3467.JPG
    328.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3468.JPG
    IMG_3468.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3469.JPG
    IMG_3469.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3470.JPG
    IMG_3470.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3471.JPG
    IMG_3471.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3472.JPG
    IMG_3472.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 18

classic33

Leg End Member
You never got the saddle height & stokers handlebars sorted?

Does the cat come with the tandem?

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I did actually. My dad made an ingenious 'thing' that fitted on the top tube for my son to hold and we were so excited. However when we tried riding it, I just never felt safe 'driving'. It's heavy and a little unwieldy, and my son likes to suddenly 'dance on his pedals' without warning so we would lurch across the lanes. It was a bit scary.

I'm disappointed, it's a really lovely bike and I wish I was a bit taller.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I did actually. My dad made an ingenious 'thing' that fitted on the top tube for my son to hold and we were so excited. However when we tried riding it, I just never felt safe 'driving'. It's heavy and a little unwieldy, and my son likes to suddenly 'dance on his pedals' without warning so we would lurch across the lanes. It was a bit scary.

I'm disappointed, it's a really lovely bike and I wish I was a bit taller.
That's a real shame - it's a very well-regarded cycle, and at the price, a bargain for someone, I'm sure (I already have a similar tandem, or we'd be having a more 'focused' conversation!)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@Cathryn Hopefully, this is not mansplaining, but we’re you riding it with the bars rotated at the angle that you have them in your pictures? If so I could see why it was a horrible experience, even without the little earthquake from behind.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
@Cathryn Hopefully, this is not mansplaining, but we’re you riding it with the bars rotated at the angle that you have them in your pictures? If so I could see why it was a horrible experience, even without the little earthquake from behind.
Interesting! That was how they came so I assumed that was the correct way!!!!! (Thank you for making the suggestion)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Interesting! That was how they came so I assumed that was the correct way!!!!! (Thank you for making the suggestion)
If you fancy giving it another go then rotate the bars so they are parallel with the ground. If in doubt, look at a photo of pretty much any normal ‘road bike’

alicat

Legendary Member
Yes, turn the bars upwards at least an inch and have another go. You could try it by yourself to get some confidence.....

Top Bottom