Burning heel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
The back of my heel is burning! It's most pronounced when my angle is most tightly inversely flexed, so when my toes are closest to my shin (what an odd way to explain it!). The burning sensation is quite low down and there's no signs of inflammation.

I can cycle okay as long as I don't allow my heel to flex fully.

This happens regardless of bike or footwear and my ankles and legs are otherwise fine.

Any ideas?

michaelcycle

How long has it been going on for and is it a sustained sensation?

Hard to know really but what you want to avoid is a severe case of plantar fasciitis...

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
How long has it been going on for and is it a sustained sensation?

Hard to know really but what you want to avoid is a severe case of plantar fasciitis...

Yes, I would very much like to avoid that!

The discomfort is almost exactly where the right hand arrow is in this image:
Ankle.jpg

michaelcycle

^^^ That seems more like the Achilles Tendon or a problem with the calcaneus.

Do you have a good physiotherapist? Otherwise see your GP.

michaelcycle

I have a sports Chiro. The discomfort feels like it's on the surface rather than deeper below.

Probably nothing to worry about then but the fact that discomfort is engaged when you are flexing your toes would indicate either the ligament or pressure caused by the tendon which is a concern.

Not really some for a chiropractor (in fact I have deep reservations about chiropractors in general) so your best bet is your GP if it continues.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Probably nothing to worry about then but the fact that discomfort is engaged when you are flexing your toes would indicate either the ligament or pressure caused by the tendon which is a concern.

Not really some for a chiropractor (in fact I have deep reservations about chiropractors in general) so your best bet is your GP if it continues.

Now I ponder it I think it may have come on after my first ever experience of proper hill-climbing so hopefully something is just a bit stretched and will return to normal soon.

michaelcycle

BTW this is both heels.

Bilateral symptoms do not change things too much although it makes it less likely that it is a ligament / tendon issue.

As before it could be anything - ill fitting shoes, lack of stretching, inflammation, tears etc etc and the only way you will really know is monitor it and if necessary get it checked out.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Bilateral symptoms do not change things too much although it makes it less likely that it is a ligament / tendon issue.

As before it could be anything - ill fitting shoes, lack of stretching, inflammation, tears etc etc and the only way you will really know is monitor it and if necessary get it checked out.

I'm going to see a physio, I've found one who is into cycling.

Top Bottom