England : Lancashire burnley to settle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone could help a bunch of amateur cyclists out.

We plan to cycle from burnley to settle in a couple of weeks and need help in knowing when to come off the canal and get back on.

We have found a map which does guide us through Colne and foulridge but being unfamiliar with the surroundings, it's difficult to work out where to get on and off the canal!

If you can also provide us with any advice for a group of first time cyclists, would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
FTC

http://www.gps-routes.co.uk/routes/home.nsf/RoutesLinksCycle/burnley-to-settle-cycle-route
The route seems fairly detailed and zooming in and switching to street view seems to show all the "junctions" fairly well?

Globalti

Legendary Member
One problem with that route for amateur cyclists.... it goes over one massive hill, Kirkby Fell, just south east of Settle with a quite dangerous descent into the town.

My advice would be to leave the canal at Barnoldswick and follow the lanes through Bracewell, Horton, Newsholme and Wigglesworth straight into Settle. After Barnoldswick the canal is heading in the wrong direction and becomes very twisty, wasting a lot of your time.

My other advice would be to invest in one of these:

9780319228296.ashx.jpg

Top Bottom