Burton Marsh Path Closure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Please accept my apologies in if I have overlooked any previous comments on this subject as my search skills are terrible but, has anybody on the Wirral experienced a bit of animosity when using the the RSPB Burton to Deeside link lately? Apparently there has been a bit of a row between RSPB Rangers and certain path users that has resulted in a temporary closure of the path. Unfortunately, we now have yet another round of the Cyclist versus Walker blame game brewing so be aware if planning a trip.

Duc gas

Über Member
Lots of cyclists on there last Sunday, lifting their bikes over locked gates..... what is the issue with the RSPB?

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
Apparently the locals had reported a lack of social distancing so the RSPB sent out some volunteer rangers to try and keep order but some people supposedly took exception to being told what to do and threats were made and the police had to be called.. There are probably culprits from all groups but the cyclists appear to be taking the brunt of the blame.

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
All RSPB reserves were closed due to coronavirus restrictions - probably not been reopened.
So probably not just local to Burton marsh.
There was a comment about dogs off leads disturbing the nesting birds so perhaps it is not a bad idea at certain times anyway.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's been discussed on NCN Facebook group. Teenagers were blamed for abusing rangers. The marsh part is a permissive path so can be closed willy-nilly but the two nearest alternatives are A roads and there was no warning of the closure where the route leaves roads. All rather irritating.

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
I've used it many times and the only anti-social experience I have witnessed is when somebody has trodden in the sheep poo :laugh:

It can be a busy path at the weekend though so patience is needed and weaving in and out of pedestrians is probably not a good idea.

Top Bottom