Bus driver jailed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
I have to agree, regardless of lane discipline or not by the bus, it looked clear what he was going to do and the bike really wasn't going to be inconvenienced by slowing slightly.

The video wouldn't load for me for some reason, but I did look at the still PK99 posted of the bus and cyclist joining the roundabout. I don't know about anyone else, but there's NO WAY I'd do anything but get behind the bus from that position. I'd be much too concerned about getting trapped between the bus and the vehicles in the next lane over.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Now that I've seen the longer report I can understand a bit more how the first incident occurred - I don't use St James Barton from that direction ... the view shown slightly earlier up the thread is my normal approach to the roundabout. In this incident the bus and the cyclist look like the entered from the next junction around.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=stokes croft &hl=en&ll=51.45932,-2.58955&spn=0.001113,0.002709&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=14.097003,39.506836&hnear=Stokes Croft, Bristol, Avon BS1, United Kingdom&t=m&layer=c&cbll=51.45932,-2.58955&panoid=0e1ikkNxfYqM5ugg3gaWpg&cbp=12,259.85,,1,1.36&z=19
At that junction there is a lane to the left of the lights for buses only that isn't controlled by lights but does have a give way. So normally when I'm approaching it from on the roundabout they will stop if you have the green light on the RAB.

In this situation I don't think the bus should have attempted to join the RAB at the same time as the traffic from the same junction since there could potentially be a reasonable amount of traffic that would be taking the next exit and therefore crossing paths. It looks like potentially bad design I think of the RAB approach for the bus and I (not a bus driver) would have been tempted to enter the RAB using the normal lanes to at least put myself in the correct lane that I wanted to be in (unless the stop immediately prior to that was one that this bus uses).

Paul J

Not pleasant to watch but why was the cyclist in the middle of the road? Looks like he swerved to stop/ slow the bus. No matter what the actions of the cyclist where the bus driver was way out of order and such a light sentence. :cursing:

col

Legendary Member
That latest BBC link amuses me. It shows Magnatom's tanker incident which, apparently he filmed to illustrate this sort of incident. I hadn't realised it was a setup..............
Seems for the par.

Top Bottom