Bus driver jailed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
I think its one of those spaghetti junctions where you just need to go to the lane you need, bad design.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
At 33 seconds ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17069235 ) the bus is moving from its bus lane onto the roundabout (check out the Google map satellite image of the junction), is indicating right, and is in the process of changing lane.

The cyclist at that point is in primary position, behind the bus on lane to the right,with a clear view of the direction of travel of the bus and of the rear right indicator.

The cyclist had a choice: Keep line and speed and end up along side the bus sharing the lane OR slow slightly and slot in behind the bus. He chose the first option.

Look at that portion of the video without knowledge of the subsequent events.

I have to agree, regardless of lane discipline or not by the bus, it looked clear what he was going to do and the bike really wasn't going to be inconvenienced by slowing slightly. If I made a fuss over everything like that I'd probably never complete a journey. I'll take primary and all that but I still ride defensively, ie ready to give way if need be and I wouldn't be arsed making a big thing about it.

It's a weird one as I'm really not a fan of 'militant' style cycling but I also abhor even the merest hint of victim blaming. The bus driver's a psycho and should never be behind the wheel of a vehicle again. There is no behaviour, reasonably imaginable, that in any way mitigates the bus drivers insane response. Yet I still think the cyclist was a bit of a cock.

ferret fur

There's always a problem where a genuine difference of opinion looks like trolling, but it can't be helped. I find I've been forced thru circumstances to join a club of which I'm not a natural member. Perhaps I should call myself Groucho?! Whatever, I share the same road space and encounter the same hazards as everyone else, although I perceive them slightly differently I think. I had my lifetime first SMIDSY only 2 days ago. I braked and steered behind her. Nothing to see here, move along folks it's just life and doesn't need posting on youtube.
But if it meant that little to you, how much impact did it have on the driver. If she even noticed I expect she forgot all about it by the time she got home. The point about making a fuss is to raise the driver's awareness of what they have done... so they pay more attention to the possiblilty that there might be a cyclist present on the road next time they are driving. Even if this heightened awareness only lasts a week it might prevent soemone else's SMIDSY being rather more painful.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
But if it meant that little to you, how much impact did it have on the driver. If she even noticed I expect she forgot all about it by the time she got home. The point about making a fuss is to raise the driver's awareness of what they have done... so they pay more attention to the possiblilty that there might be a cyclist present on the road next time they are driving. Even if this heightened awareness only lasts a week it might prevent soemone else's SMIDSY being rather more painful.

Perfectly valid but there are ways of making a point, I wouldn't beat on a car or ping windscreen wipers as a matter of course. But then nor would I try to kill somebody for doing it to my car.

Maz

Guru
The cyclist had a choice: Keep line and speed and end up along side the bus sharing the lane OR slow slightly and slot in behind the bus. He chose the first option.
I agree. A quick squeeze on the brakes and slot in behind the bus - job done. All this bother would've been avoided. No broken bones, no driver in prison.

Cubist

Still wavin'
That latest BBC link amuses me. It shows Magnatom's tanker incident which, apparently he filmed to illustrate this sort of incident. I hadn't realised it was a setup..............

PK99

Legendary Member
Is it this junction?

If so, then there is no bus lane and it appears the bus went through on red.

no this one roundabout.JPG

and the still from the bbc video:

Attachments

• roundabout 2.JPG
    roundabout 2.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 46
Is it this junction?

If so, then there is no bus lane and it appears the bus went through on red.

I think it is, and yup there's no bus lane - and if your turn the photo view round 180, it looks like the bus was in the wrong lane (one of the two for taking the first exit), and cut across on the roundabout.

col

Legendary Member
Right oh, but this is accepting road rage as one of those things, just cos you have an argument/discussion with your other half doesn't mean you are inviting violence. Is there a parallel?
Road rage, what this was, needs a reason. If thats one person doing or saying something to annoy or wind up the other because they didnt like what the other did, then that is the spark for a possible road rage incident. Some people are expert on getting others angry on purpose, as they seem to think its a good retaliation. Then these same wind up experts complain when it all goes wrong on them. Most of these so called clever people, who have this ability and use it when they want to upset someone, will never admit to it. They are inherintly cowards, and are unable to be direct, as they fear a face to face confrontation. But what these people are actually doing, is possibly causing a more dangerous confrontation, not as clever as they thought eh?

lulubel

Über Member
I think it is, and yup there's no bus lane - and if your turn the photo view round 180, it looks like the bus was in the wrong lane (one of the two for taking the first exit), and cut across on the roundabout.

Buses sometimes have to approach junctions in the wrong lane because they either aren't given the room they need to move over (which buses need a lot of) or there's a badly placed bus stop just before the junction. It happened to me quite often.

Top Bottom