Bus driver jailed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I really shouldn't be amazed at the amount of cyclists on here who are happy to bend over and spread their cheeks.

I set off at the same time as lots of drivers and they don't deliberately swerve into me.

As do I, but from the OP and a hypothetical point of view I tend not to engage any further then I need to, that would potentially bring me into furthur conflict after the fact has been asertained that the driver will not listen to reason.

In such a situation the other party is usually a long way down the road before I set off. This is after making a note of the reg/company of course.

Norm

And I really shouldn't be amazed at the number who are willing to put their heads into the mouth of a lion.

Right oh, but this is accepting road rage as one of those things, just cos you have an argument/discussion with your other half doesn't mean you are inviting violence. Is there a parallel?

dawesome

As do I, but from the OP and a hypothetical point of view I tend not to engage any further then I need to, that would potentially bring me into furthur conflict after the fact has been asertained that the driver will not listen to reason.

In such a situation the other party is usually a long way down the road before I set off. This is after making a note of the reg/company of course.

Yes, none of that has anything to do with your claim that the driver's actions were caused by the cyclist.

Right oh, but this is accepting road rage as one of those things, just cos you have an argument/discussion with your other half doesn't mean you are inviting violence. Is there a parallel?

You cannot compare the above with altercations that you have out on the road for the simple reason that you don't know other road users like you know your ''other half''.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Never mind fault, righteousness or high-minded principles for the greater good of the cycling community. I quite like being alive. Here is something that was drummed into me at an early age...

"Here lies the body of Johnny O'Day
Who died Preserving His Right of Way.

He was Right, Dead Right, as he sailed along
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong"

quoted by Eric Hiscock in "Cruising Under Sail", Oxford University Press, 1st edn, 1950.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I agree with Norm, although I'd reduce it to something like 'don't piss people off unless you can make it stick'. Anger might be righteous, but it's not always sensible.

But that comes under the heading of 'good advice'. It doesn't come under the heading of 'code to be followed on pain of being run over'. The bus driver had no business hitting the cyclist with his bus. And, lest any of you are in any doubt, it's the kind of 'good advice' I've never heeded.

Here's the bit you really won't like. I cannot for the life of me see the point in sending him to prison. I wouldn't want him behind the wheel of a bus, or even a car, anytime soon (twenty years should just about do it) but sending him to prison won't make him a better person, and won't make the world a safer place in the long run. It will probably punish his family more than him and will cost us all a fortune.

My point in a general way is this - we, all of us, tend to feel more strongly about crime that seems to be heading in our direction. I confess that I get a bit Judge Jeffries when it comes to bike theft. And, as our expectations of retribution increase, so does the prison population, and so, spookily, does crime, as those emerging from prison find themselves in posession of fewer good habits than when they went in. The sensible thing in this case would be to ban him from driving for ever and give the man's weekends to the community for the next five years.

Nebulous

Guru
In professional life I'm used to analysing behaviour in terms of an interaction between two (or more) people, and not in terms of right and wrong.

That is deeply unsettling for most people though, who want to understand things in terms of blame.

I also work in a field where there are a lot of nice, caring people, and surprisingly enough to me aggressive people often do well. They may not have a lot of friends, but they often get promoted, and they win far more than their fair share of arguments, because people are afraid to cross them because they worry about the consequences. If we tackled aggression better and more effectively at a younger age, and it ceased to bring the rewards it does, then we wouldn't have so many people who go around with fizzling fuses.

subaqua

What’s the point
Is it wrong? Are you saying that a person commits a knife attack but only manages to inflict a flesh wound should get the same charge brought as another person who opens up an artery and kills someone?

if it acts as a deterrent then yes. what sane rational person goes out with a knife on them and willing to use it ? of course in liberal hand wringing britain we all have to feel sorry as the attacker probaly didn't have a fluffy dressing gown as a kid or his hamster died when he was 7 and it "affected him" .
we hear about "human rights" , what about our right to safety from idiots who think its cool to carry a knife.

as for the uestion is it attempted murder - probably , but the CPS took the right decision in this case to go for something that was likely to end up in a conviction.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I really shouldn't be amazed at the amount of cyclists on here who are happy to bend over and spread their cheeks.
Do you believe that the cyclist did the right thing? Do you believe that whilst he was lying in his hospital bed he was thinking "At least I didn't spread my cheeks."? Are you suggesting that we should get in the face of anybody that we decide has wronged us?

Top Bottom