weight limits for bus bike racks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BG213

Regular
This may sound like an odd question but does anyone know if the kind of bike racks found on the front of many city transit buses have weight limits for the kind of bikes that can be used with them? Are they similar in strength to car bike racks? I am specifically asking about a bike that will weight approximately 50 pound / 22kg. I doubt I'd get any kind of real answer if I called up my local transit operator directly.

Sharky

Guru
They seem like a good facility, but not here in the UK.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As Sharky has said we don't have those in thd UK. This is a UK based forum.
However, having seen these racks on my travels across the US I would say that they are pretty strong. Taking more then one bike at a time.
Have you checked the transport company website for information?

Reactions: C R

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I know nothing about them but seem to remember that they do exist somewhere in the UK. Need to do a bit of searching.
They were trialled in Bath, I think, but VOSA or DVSA or whatever agency it was then refused to grant general approval due to concerns that they would break more walkers' legs.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There used to be some buses in the Lake District which had external bike racks but I don't think they're still around; some of the Stagecoach buses in the Lakes have an interior stand for just a couple of bikes.

According to google it is illegal to have front racks for bikes but rear racks can be used. I still think I have seen photos of somewhere front racks have been introduced but so far cannot find anything.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
OP
OP
B

BG213

Regular
As Sharky has said we don't have those in thd UK. This is a UK based forum.
Didn't realize. They are quite common in city bus lines in the US.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Some of the local mini-buses had bike racks on the back for a while, which in theory would have been very handy to take tired cyclists up some of the very steep roads in this area. Unfortunately, some idiot manager decided that it was not permissible to just turn up with a bike and put it on the bike rack - bike carriage had to booked at least 24 hours in advance! It didn't matter if the rack were empty - no booking, no joy... :wacko:

• Wow
Reactions: C R

classic33

Leg End Member
Front of Bus Cycle Racks, the DVSA says no. – Walk Ride Bath – https://walkridebath.org.uk/2015/06/04/front-of-bus-cycle-racks-the-dvsa-says-no/
FirstBus Bristol say Yes.
2015-08-05-11.37.10-1-300x169.jpg

https://www.bikesonbuses.com/locations/uk/

Top Bottom