Bus lane confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
PrettyboyTim said:
Very close to me there's a timed mandatory cycle lane... figure that one out!

So it's not only timed but mandatory for cyclists to use it during the allotted time? Is that legal?

PrettyboyTim said:
Very close to me there's a timed mandatory cycle lane... figure that one out!

Kew road is a good example of a timed mandatory lane – cars cannot enter it during hours of operation (7am to 10am I think) – but can then park in it after the rush hour. In other words its only a cycle lane part of the time.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
A lot of cycle lanes (from memory there are a few around Mount Pleasant in London) have a single yellow line in them. That means that outside of controlled hours people can park in them, and you get 20 minutes loading time in them

it's all very confusing, but if you know your stuff you can park for free in many places in london, and get ahead of the queues in bus lanes!

PrettyboyTim

ChrisKH said:
So it's not only timed but mandatory for cyclists to use it during the allotted time? Is that legal?

'mandatory' for bike lanes means that it has a solid white line at the edge and means that motorists are not allowed to drive in it, as opposed to the other sort that have dashed lines and are not illegal for motorists to drive in.

There is no compulsion involved for the cyclist.

Top Bottom