BUSTED ANKLE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Lasr year I done the right while jogging the trail, it went to grapefruit size, today running down stairs for a train, I done the left ankle, it's now the size of an orange.
I know running is out but would cycling be ok?

Bill Gates

Broken bones need rest to heal, so if you are using that particular bone in your exercise routine then i would say no. On the other hand a broken arm or collar bone doesn't stop you getting on the turbo.

So sit in a chair and do core and upper body exercises instead.

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
I came off a ladder back in 1970, smashed my ankle to pieces and split my tibia with the impact. I only have about 50% movement and somedays struggle walking due to artheritis but manage cycling quite well as there isn't any impact force on the joint.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Sorry guys sounded a bit more dramatic than it probably is, I don't think it's broken just swollen up quite a bit and as I said about the size of a large orange.

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
The Jogger said:
Sorry guys sounded a bit more dramatic than it probably is, I don't think it's broken just swollen up quite a bit and as I said about the size of a large orange.

I'll bet it's only swollen to the size of a satsuma :ohmy:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Get it looked at by the quack, noone can safely give you advice on a brief description of an injury on the internet.

BigSteev

When I did my ankle ligaments I would cycle to the hospital, unstrap my crutches from the top tube, and hobble to physio. The doctors said that was good as the cycling exercised the ankle without putting excessive weight on it (I rode sitting down), so don't rule it out.

Bill Gates

When I lived in Germany in the early 90's I played a game of squash with a member of the army squash team and went over on my ankle lunging forward and ripped my ligaments. I was taken to hospital and they operated immediately. When I was released home, my leg was in plaster from the ankle to just below the knee. Although I didn't live alone (german girlfriend) she wasn't able to drive me back to the hospital for outpatient appointments so the only way I could get there was on a mountain bike.

The sight of me arriving at hospital on a bike, leg in plaster, caused some comments and I was hailed as some sort of superman at the squash club. Shame was that 3 days earlier I had just won a 3 inter club tournment and was in the form of my life.

Anyway the thing is that yes you can cycle with a dodgy ankle.

Valy

Banjo said:
Get it looked at by the quack, noone can safely give you advice on a brief description of an injury on the internet.
QFT

I don't mean to be patronising at all, but if it is bad - then go see a doctor. Putting something cold would not hurt either.
Bill Gates said:
When I lived in Germany in the early 90's I played a game of squash with a member of the army squash team and went over on my ankle lunging forward and ripped my ligaments. I was taken to hospital and they operated immediately. When I was released home, my leg was in plaster from the ankle to just below the knee. Although I didn't live alone (german girlfriend) she wasn't able to drive me back to the hospital for outpatient appointments so the only way I could get there was on a mountain bike.

The sight of me arriving at hospital on a bike, leg in plaster, caused some comments and I was hailed as some sort of superman at the squash club. Shame was that 3 days earlier I had just won a 3 inter club tournment and was in the form of my life.

Anyway the thing is that yes you can cycle with a dodgy ankle.
Well... I guess that does depend on how bad it is.

Bill Gates

Valy said:
QFT

I don't mean to be patronising at all, but if it is bad - then go see a doctor. Putting something cold would not hurt either.

Well... I guess that does depend on how bad it is.

My ankle was completely immobilised by the plaster so unable to flex it at all. I suppose that does make a difference.:biggrin:

Valy

Bill Gates said:
My ankle was completely immobilised by the plaster so unable to flex it at all. I suppose that does make a difference.:smile:

Yeha - if I see a cast I think fragile, but actually it is pretty strong - it has to keep the bone still lafter all. :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If it's still ORANGE sized, then you'd better not cycle..really....... DOCS..... and wait till meds/advice let's it go down.......... and you may get the day off work..........

Top Bottom