But I'm turning right.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'd also suggest setting yourself up a youtube account if you don't already have one, and subscribing to the various helmet camera cyclists. You can then compare their riding to your own, and to the comments made about their video to judge what's considered normal, and what is good riding, and also the mistakes made.

OP
OP
Wheeledweenie

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Hi Thanos.

I started cycling two years ago and have never driven (no license and can't afford a car). I too was initially sceptical about my abilities on-road. I built up my confidence using off-road cycle tracks and towpaths and now cycle on-road all the time.

There are lots of opinions out there about how you should cycle but long ago I decided to cycle in a way that makes me feel safe. I'm fairly quick but I always stop at red lights and crossings and don't filter very often. I'm happy to queue rather than go up the left side if there's something scary looking ahead.

Although the subject matter in this thread was a bit negative and there are some crappy drivers out there I love cycling to work and while I moan occasionally it'd take a lot more than a few idiots to stop me!

thanos

That is definitely the attitude that I want to maintain. I do find aspects of cycling cathartic (especially after work), and even when the day is long and dark and cold, tiredness does wash off by dinner time.

I am noticing cyclist camera links (mostly reporting bad driving behavior) but out of it I get to see what lines people follow, and how they react when drivers overtake them which is great!

Im going into evans/london tomorrow to settle some sizing issues.. and hopefully ill make a bike purchase soon after (probably a mid range hybrid for now, as I think a road bike is a bit too optimistic for me at the moment -although it does have advantages in speed and possibly dealing with head wind).

Hmm lets see.. I appreciate the encouragement everyone.. stay safe..

Top Bottom