Butterflies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
A distinct dearth this summer. Plenty of cabbage whites, a few red admirals and peacocks but bugger all else down this way.

sign of a crap summer?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Was out for a walk in the hills yesterday... bloomin' loads of em...:smile:

Maz

Guru
Only seen one cabbage white this summer. Very few bees as well, which is a bit worrying.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Two cold summers on the trot have been very bad for them. We've got plenty of cabbage whites, some other whites and have seen some orange ones around (gatekeepers?). Also just seen a brown one but can't identify it. Definitely fewer than normal though :smile:

Charlotte_C+ :-)

This little chap may do more then look at the butterflies!:smile::thumbsup:

Photo-0011.jpg

P.S Found the poor thing while sweeping up, hence the dog hairs lol

Charlotte_C+ :-) said:
This little chap may do more then look at the butterflies!:smile::ohmy:

Photo-0011.jpg

P.S Found the poor thing while sweeping up, hence the dog hairs lol

And I thought that was a cat in your avatar! :thumbsup:

purplemoon

mondobongo said:
Not even seen a Cabbage White this year.

I wish I could say the same! I grow veggies in my garden and my poor sprouts and broccoli have all but been destroyed by the caterpillars of the cabbage whites :rofl:

After a slow start this summer I've had quite a large number of red admirals, peacocks, small tortoise shells, holly blues etc visiting the garden, plus one I can't remember the name of but has red and black wings.

Also had quite a few varieties of bumble bees but not seen many honey bees this year.

Ladybirds have been very thin on the ground too and the ones I have seen I suspect were the Harlequin invaders ;)

terry huckle

Cat brought in an Elephant Hawk moth caterpillar yesterday...enormous! About 10cms long and really fat. Appeared to be unharmed, so returned it to safe (I hope pastures).

I was missing the bees, until the sedum in the garden started to bloom...lots of them out there in the last few days, along with bumble bees.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I've had a duff summer for moths. I run a light-trap every now and then, and it's usually teeming with elephant hawk moths and other such spectacular beasts. Here's a pic of this year's only elephant, taken before all the tomatoes died... :rolleyes: Not a great pic, and doesn't do justice to the beautiful colours. So good news that Terry's seen one of their caterpillars.

Top Bottom