Butterfly bars and brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Exactly. I'm sure a lot of us spend at least 25% of our riding time thinking about weird handlebar / brake / shifter configurations.

Has anyone ever put brifters on the sides of butterfly bars, and keeping the ones on the flats?

domtyler

Über Member
Have you been smoking mixed herbs again?

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Jesus christ. Just saw that the last post on this forum was like 10 hours ago.

It's like an intellectual has wondered into the bad boys area and has been given a stark warning

k-dog

I've never seen that. Did see someone recently with bullhorns with them mounted underneath. Looked incredibly stupid.

I've heard them called 'brifters' in the US for quite a few years - not common here though.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

k-dog said:
I've never seen that. Did see someone recently with bullhorns with them mounted underneath. Looked incredibly stupid.

I've heard them called 'brifters' in the US for quite a few years - not common here though.

Thanks k-dog. Not worried about how it will all look, but I reckon shimano brake-shifters, at least tiagra with the paddles would work well on the sides of butterfly bars. Also, when you think about it, when riding on the flats, it wouldn't be too much of a finger stretch to reach them either.

Not as much of a stretch from riding on the flats on drops to reach the gears on the hoods, which is probably more destabilising anyhow.

To set the whole thing up would probably be the same as setting up bar top brakes on a cross type bike

snorri

Legendary Member
:biggrin:

Top Bottom