Butterfly Bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hi Colin - yes that was me and yes it was a tight bend, in fact the closest I've come to a serious fall!!

I enjoyed my butterflys and think they will suit what Jake is looking for. Having said that I had drops fitted a week or so after the Pendle Pedal - nothing to do with the near crash - and wouldn't change back. The extra control, manoueverability and ability to really push it up that last bit of hill makes a big difference.

bobg

Über Member

orbiter

I echo everything that Cycletourer says. I used to tour with drops, then tried butterflys on my hack bike - and switched to them very soon for touring. Better view and more hand positions.

Butterflys are standard issue on almost all German touring bikes nowadays.

I have ergonomic bar extensions on my off-road bike, which are very comfortable for long rides but I'd still prefer butterflys for touring.

My only reservation is that most butterflys available in the UK are quite wide. The 52cm bars on my hack bike are a little more comfortable than the 58cm, which was all I could find when I converted the tourer. The only good range I can find is Modolo in Italy. [Good excuse for a tour there!]

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Sorry to drag an old thread out of the dust , but i have had a set of Butterfly Bars hanging up in my garage for a couple of years and have just been waiting for the "right" bike to come along which looks like it has in the shape of the Falcon Explorer 12 .

I find them really comfy to use so far with loads of various positions for my hands to sit on as well and would certainly suggest they are worth a try for sure .

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I also find "H" bars work well in the same applications, but butterfly bars are also quite good for shorter range touring for me. Longer range, and I think my back would prefer drops. The nice thing with "H" bars is that then you may use a bar bag, etc. Here's some with a bar mitt fitted.
bar-mitts-on-jones-h-bar.jpg

They are made by Jones.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I had butterfly bars for a long time and they were fine but you spend a lot of the time being very upright.

I then tried tri bars on my Genesis cdf and found them more comfortable and more aerodynamic.

I am not a fast rider but being on the tri bars makes riding into the wind much easier and faster. I can still see whats going on around me and have additional hand positions. I also have extra space to store gear.

Its not for everyone but it is an alternative to look at.

https://www.cyclingabout.com/bikepacking-aerobars-comfort-speed-bike-adventures/

Top Bottom