Butterfly watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Would you Adam and Eve it! On my ride today I saw an orange tip and a peacock.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I also saw lesser celandine, wood anemone, primrose, cardamine pratensis, bluebell, daffodil, blue and white violets and lungwort.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Have you seen any this year yet?

I've had red admiral, comma, small white and cabbage white.

Any brimstones, peacocks, orange tips around?

There is NO SUCH THING as a 'Cabbage White'. It would have been either a Large White, Small White, a Green Veined White, a female Orange Tip or another of the 'Whites'.

Gerrit right people!

Now, what was it?

Hmmm, a hummingbird hawkmoth?

This early in the season??

I have only seen one Tortoise Shell so far.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
There is NO SUCH THING as a 'Cabbage White'. It would have been either a Large White, Small White, a Green Veined White, a female Orange Tip or another of the 'Whites'.

Gerrit right people!

Now, what was it?

This early in the season??

I have only seen one Tortoise Shell so far.
Pieris brassica but I didn't want to dazzle you!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pieris_brassicae

I don't know much about moths in truth.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Pieris brassica but I didn't want to dazzle you!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pieris_brassicae

I don't know much about moths in truth.

Ah ok, like the small White only the wingtips are blacker, making it easy to identify at a glance.

I will need to look the Hummingbird Hawkmoth up to see when it flies, but a Hummer is quite big (relatively) and people sometimes mistake them as real Hummingbirds.

I doubt it could be realistically mistaken for a Mayfly. When you see a Hummer, you KNOW about it, and I don't mean in a bad way.

It is also a summer migrant from Europe, so if you see one, chances are it has come from Mainland Europe, hence why I'm wondering about this early in the season.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The only things so far have been two Red Admirals and a Swallowtail. I haven't seen a Swallowtail for a couple of years and they used to be very common here.
I love swallowtails but only see them abroad.
Scarce or the ordinary one, Uncle?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Just the normal ones. In the UK when I was a kid and mad on butterflies and moths I'd occasionally see them in the Lincolnshire fens. I've never seen a live scarce swallowtail.
I was told by an RSPB bloke on holiday in S France that, curiously, the scarce ones are more common than the normal kind. I've seen many of both down that way.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Wicken Fen is the place to see Swallowtails apparently.

Oh, and there is NO WAY you could mistake a Hummingbird Hawkmoth for a Mayfly!

Hummingbird Hawkmoths are big noisy things for a start.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
.......Thread dredge, I couldn't see any more recent butterfly threads (mods please merge if there are), and surprised we've not seen this continue, so lets try a reboot.

I've just returned from a long weekend in Wales and managed to get a few nice butterfly pics in my Mum's garden yesterday. These common UK ones are about the extent of my UK butterfly knowledge, and I recognise hardly any moths, so it would be good to see others posted and identified here.
Painted Lady
EPXn17s.jpg

Red Admiral
hgp3Tsv.jpg

Small Tortoiseshell
xDKwV2n.jpg

Peacock
AQVFDzg.jpg

PK99

Legendary Member
I would not know one butterfly or moth from another but have put in a new Herb Bed near the house and am seeing a wide range of both butterflies and moths.

Two moths have appeared in abundance over the past two years - Box Tree Moth and Clothes Moth. I gave up the battle against the Box Bugger and ripped out 10's of meters of box hedging and around a dozen Balls and Pyramids. The battle against Clothes Moth is in full swing, the little beggars get everywhere!

Top Bottom