Buy versus hire for a UK bike packing sojurn?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beggsy

Regular
Hi all
We (2) are planning to utilise a number of the UK cycle trails over 6 weeks June/July 2024, coming over from New Zealand to do so.
A very broad question!.. but, just considering options rather than bringing our own bikes (we will bring own bike-packing bags etc):
  • Should we hire/rent bikes?... probably preferably long term rather than for each leg of riding from local suppliers... or
  • If purchase is there any known "Buy Back" schemes, or just risk sale at end of time?
Tentative plans is start in Scotland, after doing Hebridean Way make our way south over the period (utilising trains if available/needed) to end in Southern England (likely London but flexible). Any hints of local companies for either option welcome as well as any thoughts. We are thinking Hybrid bikes (lots of experience with Trek F3 for instance)
Cheers
NnC

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I think it would be hard to rent bikes if you're starting in Scotland and finishing in London. I don't know of any one-way rental options. I know you can rent Bromptons at stations and (I believe) return them to other stations but I'm guessing Bromptons aren't what you need.

And, I'm sorry but I don't know of any buy-back schemes. Hopefully someone else will know better.

Jameshow

Veteran
You could buy second hand and sell afterwards?
Buying in Scotland and selling in London you'll likely make a profit! Look at eBay, gumtree Facebook for possible bikes before coming over.

Emanresu

OP
OP
B

Beggsy

Regular
Thanks all for your replies... very helpful and narrows it down a little for our research! Will definitely look at purchase we think...
Cheers

OP
OP
B

Beggsy

Regular
Hi to those of you who replied, read etc.... a somewhat delayed update:

We have purchased, and have patiently waiting for us, 2x 1 year old, fully serviced Hybrid bikes from an Inverness hire company. Mid May we will collect and we have the Hebridean Way accommodation locked in, after cycling down the Caledonian Way to Oban. Once we get back to Inverness at end of May we then have 6+ weeks until 16 July to get to Stansted airport for our flight out on 17th.... now in the exciting stage of working out suitable routes and options, fun! Utilising cycle.travel which we are finding invaluable.

Ideally we may find some affordable storage in southern UK to leave the bikes until 2025, otherwise will either sell or abandon them to a suitable bike shop ^_^

Cheers
NnC

Gillstay

Über Member
Hi to those of you who replied, read etc.... a somewhat delayed update:

We have purchased, and have patiently waiting for us, 2x 1 year old, fully serviced Hybrid bikes from an Inverness hire company. Mid May we will collect and we have the Hebridean Way accommodation locked in, after cycling down the Caledonian Way to Oban. Once we get back to Inverness at end of May we then have 6+ weeks until 16 July to get to Stansted airport for our flight out on 17th.... now in the exciting stage of working out suitable routes and options, fun! Utilising cycle.travel which we are finding invaluable.

Ideally we may find some affordable storage in southern UK to leave the bikes until 2025, otherwise will either sell or abandon them to a suitable bike shop ^_^

Cheers
NnC

Why not ask if anyone one on here might look after them for you. I keep one here for an Aussie chap and I hear you guys are very similar. :laugh:

alicat

Legendary Member
Another option if you are feeling charitable is to donate them to a charity that does up bikes to sell to people who need them for commuting etc but can't afford to buy at full price.

eg https://www.activeessex.org/essex-pedal-power/

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
@Beggsy
I'll PM later on, once I'm on a laptop rather than a phone. I can probably help

OP
OP
B

Beggsy

Regular
Why not ask if anyone one on here might look after them for you. I keep one here for an Aussie chap and I hear you guys are very similar. :laugh:

Hehe... yep, just like cousins... but like all cousins we love nothing better than to argue on who's best (which BTW is NZ'ers!!! ;))

But thanks for hint to ask, my self conscious self didn't want to but the post has garnered a generous offer already:smile:

Emanresu

There are also a lot of self-service storage companies in the UK like Big Yellow. Or perhaps approach someone on the Warm Showers website to see if they might look after the bikes for you.

Mick Mudd

Über Member
Hi all
Tentative plans is start in Scotland...
Cheers
NnC

Good for you, the Scots are wonderful friendly people..:smile:
An Englishman buys a cottage in the highlands and that evening there's a knock at the door.
He opens it and there's a big hairy jock standing there in kilt, tam o'shanter, sporran, and with bagpipes under his arm.
"Och laddie" he says, "I live in a cottage doon the glen and i'd like tae invite ye to a party there this evening, there'll be lots of drinking, singing, dancing and wild wild sex"
"Wow sounds good" says the Englishman, "how many will be there?"
"Och laddie" replies the scotsman, "just the two of us"..:smile:

Top Bottom