Buying a bike for a child.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
K

kezz

Dave5N said:
Do not use stabilisers.

We were just going to use them so he can actually ride the bike over christmas. We dont intend to leave them on for long. Would this be a very bad thing to do?

I went back to the shop today and the guy said he will get a raleigh hotrod http://www.raleigh.co.uk/b_details.aspx?id=516 in and set up for him to try as it has a slightly shorter frame and the Dawes rocket with the different brake levers. He can reach and apply the smaller brake levers on the Dawes with ease but his arms are straight when on the handlebars and brakes , he can put the balls of his feet on the floor when sitting on the saddle. The bike shop guy said he thought the bike was fine and my hubby agrees. ;) I just knew this was going to turn into a nightmare.

OP
OP
K

kezz

The hotrod has a suspension fork. I don't want to add to your decision stress, but that's more weight and poorer handling for one so young.

So in the long run the Dawes is probably a safer bet. He seemed to be really confident on it when he rode it up and down outside the shop. He did nearly topple over once but my hubby said it was because he turned the handlebars sharply and some blah blah about turning and stabilizers.

Thanks User.

Sorry everyone if this is turning into a saga:blush:

OP
OP
K

kezz

I've not seen the Dawes before. It doesn't look bad. Is the bloke charging you for changing the brake levers?

No, no extra charge. He said he didnt know why Dawes had put the larger levers on the newer models as the small ones were better.

Top Bottom