Buying a bike for a child.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
My LBS has been doing decent bikes for kids for years. I bought my older boy his first in 1987 and it lasted long enough for my younger boy to out grow it in 1994! We sold it for a tenner and it was probably good for another 5 or 6 years of abuse!

Look for proper bearings on wheels, bottom bracket and head tube, brake levers that small hands can reach them and you can't go wrong.

As far as learning to ride drop the seat so the child can get both feet on the floor. (This is a good way to check that the frame is going to be OK, the seat should be fully down and the child should just get both heels down.) Remove the pedals and let them scoot. Once they are turning with their feet off the ground replace the pedals. Once they are stopping and starting safely lift the saddle so they can only put one toe down and then adjust as you would for yourself to get the seat height right.

Dave5N

Über Member
Looking around the serious young riders, Isla pretty much has it sewn up. If they are good for them, (and they give 'em a bashing) they are good for anyone.

Paul's point confirm's what I (tried to) say: Invest in a decent bike (an Ilsabike), look after it and you'll get most of your money back anyway.

ASC1951

Guru
mickle said:
It should also be noted that Isla will buy the bike back when your kid grows out of it.
Kezz, people here have overlooked that you mention Halfords because you personally can get a thumping discount from them. If Isla's policy means they sell also second hand bikes, that may be your answer.

I would always have something good second hand rather than something cheap new.

OP
OP
K

kezz

Thanks everyone, I think sadly the Isla bikes are a bit over our budget at the moment. Im going to take him to a Dawes stockist at the weekend and have a look at the Rocket.

Hugo15

Über Member
I have gone for a Specialized Hotrock 20" for my daughter for Xmas. It was more than I budgeted for but it was way better than the stuff in Halfords. She is nearly 6. It just fits, but the 16" would have lasted 5 mins before she grew out of it. Hopefully the weather on Xmas day will be OK so we can get out for a ride.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
BentMikey said:
I'd also recommend Islabikes. Spend less, and you'll get what you pay for, a crap bike that your kid will get far less pleasure out of.

Whilst I agree you get what you pay for, some folk don't have the money to pay for more. He's already upped his budget and is looking above the Halfords heavy bikes. Its for a kid who will no doubt chuck it on the ground, fall off it etc. Sometimes its better to have a bike that you don't wince when they do that. There are other bikes that will fall inbetween the two that are worth looking at. (That said I'm considering an Islabike for my 7 yo for his next bike).

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I just don't think it's worth buying a cheap heavy bike for a child. You'll likely end up convincing them that cycling is no fun and that they don't want to do that any more. An islabike is cheap and excellent. Bit like buying a car for £500 - it's likely to be a lemon.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I agree on the heavy bike bit ... just think there are other alternatives that aren't as expensive as an Islabike. Most kids don't even realise they have a heavy bike... my absolute worst bike you can buy a kid is those motorbike ones ... really really heavy and non adjustable!!!

OP
OP
K

kezz

We went today to a local bike shop and bought a Dawes Rocket http://www.dawescycles.com/dawes/rocket.htm it has an 11 inch frame. We tried the rocket and a raleigh hot rod. The hot rod seemed to fit him well now but was heavy. He said he liked the Rocket more as it was faster (Words of a five year old).
It seemed a teeny bit big for him as he stretching just a little to reach the handlebars, the bike shop owner is changing the brake levers for smaller ones and has fitted stabilizers on it for us. It is for inside leg 20 - 23 inches. My sons inside leg is 20inches fom groin to floor. Have I made a mistake, should I have gone for a smaller bike? :wacko:

OP
OP
K

kezz

Sorry, forgot to say that the Hot rod was also a 20inch with 11inch frame which has me quite confused about sizing. He will be 6 in June. We have paid in full for the bike but havent collected it. Do you think I would be able to get my money back?

Top Bottom