Buying a bike for a tall non cycling adult.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahale

Über Member
My boyfriend is 26 and has never learnt to ride a bike. He has expressed some interest over the years we've been together but I think he is fearful and so I haven't pushed it.

But I've been watching videos on YouTube and I think it would be fairly easy to teach him myself without him falling off (this would put him off completely I imagine) using a similar method to children in that they propel them self with their feet on the floor to start with and then progress to one foot on a pedal etc.

First question has anyone taught an adult to ride a bike? How hard was it, what method did you use? Any helpful tips?

I would quite like to buy the bike for him as a surprise (Xmas), would this be a really bad idea? I realise he should probably go to a shop and try them out but I'm pretty certain that would be out of the question.

Any bike suggestions? He's 6ft 7 and over 20st so I don't have a clue if I can buy anything cheap ish in a shop that would be suitable for his height.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I think he would really love cycling round the local parks once he realises it isn't all that scary.

Leave it. He's not interested.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I believe that there are lots of courses for adults to learn to ride a bike , and you get taught without any need for embarrassment. Ride into the future with grins on your faces.:okay:

alicat

Legendary Member
Bad idea to buy him a bike as a surprise present.

You could have an honest chat about what he feels about cycling. But don't try to convert him and be ready for an answer you don't like.

If he is keen to give it a try then post again re a suitable bike.

Kajjal

Guru
Have a think about where you plan to cycle and what sort of bike you are looking for and when it comes to choosing the bike he will need to be involved as you buying him a bike without him is a bit like letting him loose by himself buying you clothes :smile:

I am 6ft7 and 100kg / 16 stone. The main thing is too make sure the bike fits him and is not too small. It is likely the cheaper bikes from Halfords and similar will be far too small and not fit him. To give you an idea of sizing (not price) my mountain bike is a 23" (xxl) Specialized carve which fits me fine and my road bike is a specialized diverge 61cm which again fits me fine but he may want to go up to a 64cm as I was between sizes due to having a proportionally longer body than legs. Below is a link to one brands size chart.

http://legacy.specialized.com/media/pdf/es_MY17_Bike_Sizing_Guide_v1.pdf

Also due to his weight he will need top make sure the bike has stronger wheels so light weight road bikes are not suitable but pretty much any other bike should be fine. Like me being heavier means not only the extra weight but also the extra strength puts more strain on the wheels. Both my bikes have been fine with no problems.

BikeCurious

Über Member
I learned to ride a bike as an adult (10 years ago aged 23) by reading online guides. It was pretty easy really, similar to what you write. I started with the saddle low enough that I could have both feet on the floor. I'd push myself forward and try to lift the feet off the ground then while moving steer towards the side I was falling. From that progress onto using one pedal to propel yourself and once you've done that the key is to get the second foot onto the other pedal. At that point start pedalling and you can now ride a bike! Best to learn on a smooth surface like tarmac because you'll roll further for less effort than on grass.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I think teaching him to ride wouldn't be too hard, if you persevered he would soon get the hang of it. Maybe don't buy a bike for a surprise if you don't know for sure if he'd want one.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I believe that there are lots of courses for adults to learn to ride a bike , and you get taught without any need for embarrassment. Ride into the future with grins on your faces.:okay:

I will look into this and mention to him. Would have to be one on one for him I think.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Bad idea to buy him a bike as a surprise present.

You could have an honest chat about what he feels about cycling. But don't try to convert him and be ready for an answer you don't like.

If he is keen to give it a try then post again re a suitable bike.

I'm not fussed either way, was just thinking of him and think he's missing out as cycling is brilliant.

But I probably should talk to him more about it before I jump in and buy him one so thank-you :smile:

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Have a think about where you plan to cycle and what sort of bike you are looking for and when it comes to choosing the bike he will need to be involved as you buying him a bike without him is a bit like letting him loose by himself buying you clothes :smile:

I am 6ft7 and 100kg / 16 stone. The main thing is too make sure the bike fits him and is not too small. It is likely the cheaper bikes from Halfords and similar will be far too small and not fit him. To give you an idea of sizing (not price) my mountain bike is a 23" (xxl) Specialized carve which fits me fine and my road bike is a specialized diverge 61cm which again fits me fine but he may want to go up to a 64cm as I was between sizes due to having a proportionally longer body than legs. Below is a link to one brands size chart.

http://legacy.specialized.com/media/pdf/es_MY17_Bike_Sizing_Guide_v1.pdf

Also due to his weight he will need top make sure the bike has stronger wheels so light weight road bikes are not suitable but pretty much any other bike should be fine. Like me being heavier means not only the extra weight but also the extra strength puts more strain on the wheels. Both my bikes have been fine with no problems.

Thank-you, this is really helpful advice.

Perhaps I will offer to buy him a bike if he wants and then we could go shopping together and get him something that fits.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I learned to ride a bike as an adult (10 years ago aged 23) by reading online guides. It was pretty easy really, similar to what you write. I started with the saddle low enough that I could have both feet on the floor. I'd push myself forward and try to lift the feet off the ground then while moving steer towards the side I was falling. From that progress onto using one pedal to propel yourself and once you've done that the key is to get the second foot onto the other pedal. At that point start pedalling and you can now ride a bike! Best to learn on a smooth surface like tarmac because you'll roll further for less effort than on grass.

Thank-you, great to hear from someone who has done it themselves. This is the method I have watched online and think he would find it easy

Top Bottom