Buying a bike without a test ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yaffle

Like the rest of the nation I’m on lockdown and have had my fill of walking round and round the village. I’ve been thinking for 3 years to buy a bike and sorely wish I had.

I have a country park nearby which is remaining open and fancy a hybrid bike. There’s also a very long stretch of former railway line, firm with the usual bumps and potholes.

I’d only have a mile or so of road, the rest being the railway and country park trails. No big hills (except last 200m to home:sad:).

I was quite set on a Pinnacle Lithium 4 @ £575 but Evans have advised it’s been discontinued. Also, they seem to be on 14 day delivery now and I naturally want one quicker than that.

From other posts here I’ve looked at Trek FX2 and Giant Escape 3 and a Scott Sub 20 at Rutland Bikes.

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/3...um=Sub+Networks&utm_campaign=LeisurelakeBikes

https://www.dalescycles.com/giant-e...MI4viKxrq_6AIVBLTtCh1AIAPpEAUYAyABEgKgvvD_BwE

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bike...-comfort-20-men-2019-hybrid-bike-brown_461874

Given I can’t test ride one it’s a gamble but I’m looking for some suggestions please for a “dare buy it blind” bike. I’m thinking up to £500 but less would be preferable, I’m not a brand snob, just after best bang for buck.

I don’t want a racy position, more of a comfort ride.

All advice very much appreciated.

vickster

Legendary Member
They'll all be pretty comfortable and upright. Get one with decently fat tyres 35mm+ for off road. Check the size guides although with hybrids, there tend to be fewer options. If you're between sizes, go larger if your height is more in your torso, smaller if it's more in your legs. Did you try the Pinnacle out already, if so compare its geometry to the other options.

Don't go for the Scott, it'll have cheap heavy suspension which you don't need for your intended uses.

I'd go for one with the better spec, although there may not be much in it. I'd only go for one with ergo type grips, not the round one as I don't like those at all. Personally I'd get the Trek due to the disc brakes and my colour
Maybe it'll come down to your preferred colour and overall aesthetic

I'd maybe wait a few days however as it does appear more stringent rules are going to come in, which may affect how far we can go from home :sad:

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
I've bought 2 bikes and one frame without riding first. I've had been riding for at least 50 years at that point and had a pretty good idea of what size to get and what different kinds of bikes are like. The two bikes I did get were only available on the internet and couldn't be ridden prepurchase. I would wait until the current situation is resolved and ride a bunch before I bought. Perhaps you have a friend that might loan you a bike for a while if you are desperate to ride. Resale on most bikes isn't good, except maybe for Bromptons, so a choice that doesn't work out can be expensive.

Sharky

Guru
A lot of websites offer a good returns policy. You need to check, but Wiggle will accept returns and Evans will take them back, even if you have ridden them.

Size charts are probably fairly reliable, but the difference between a medium and a large frame is probably only 2 cm's on the seat/top tube and you can raise/lower saddles easily by more than 2 cm's and stem lengths are easy to replace. Best to err on the smaller size if undecided which to go for.

Happy cycling

OP
OP
Y

Yaffle

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I’m mindful there may be further restrictions, we can only hope that if so they allow enough scope for exercise, with social distancing of course. Cabin fever will be rife if we can’t get out at all.

I’ve asked and can’t find a bike to borrow.

My other thought was since I plan so few road miles to go for a full MTB. I’m not commuting so don’t need top road speed.

I know hybrids are sold as exactly that but, talking myself out of them here, they do seem biased to the road.

Sizing, I’m 6’2” with a 32” inside leg so plan on an XL frame.

Dale 1956

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I’m mindful there may be further restrictions, we can only hope that if so they allow enough scope for exercise, with social distancing of course. Cabin fever will be rife if we can’t get out at all.

I’ve asked and can’t find a bike to borrow.

My other thought was since I plan so few road miles to go for a full MTB. I’m not commuting so don’t need top road speed.

I know hybrids are sold as exactly that but, talking myself out of them here, they do seem biased to the road.

Sizing, I’m 6’2” with a 32” inside leg so plan on an XL frame.
I'm only 5'6 and I also have a 32"inside leg I ride a 52cm Surly frame I think you would need a 52cm frame set at least with a Surly bike.That's my 2 cents on it lol...

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Small confession: I've test ridden a grand total of 1 bike in my life, I currently own 4 and obviously owned many more prior to those. I've never really ridden a bike I didn't like or enjoy. By all means test if you can, but if you can't, it's not as critical as it's sometimes made out to be.
The key (for me anyway) is sizing, if you can be sure of the size you're alright, so look at those sizing charts and look for opinions.
At 6 foot 2 you're a Large in Giant speak, I'm 6 foot exactly and I'm on a M/L.

Hybrids aren't remotely road biased, I own two (one of them being the Giant Escape you're considering) and if you're doing dirt tracks and woodland trails and similar, they're perfect. So much so that I've always wondered why suspension equipped MTBs sell in such huge numbers, a hybrid does exactly the same job that what, 80% of MTB owners use their full suspension bikes for?

Of your choices, I like the Trek, (I also own a 7.3 FX), and the Giant equally. I'd rule out the Scott for the unnecessary suspension.

Small confession: I've test ridden a grand total of 1 bike in my life, I currently own 4 and obviously owned many more prior to those. I've never really ridden a bike I didn't like or enjoy. By all means test if you can, but if you can't, it's not as critical as it's sometimes made out to be.
The key (for me anyway) is sizing, if you can be sure of the size you're alright, so look at those sizing charts and look for opinions.
At 6 foot 2 you're a Large in Giant speak, I'm 6 foot exactly and I'm on a M/L.

Hybrids aren't remotely road biased, I own two (one of them being the Giant Escape you're considering) and if you're doing dirt tracks and woodland trails and similar, they're perfect. So much so that I've always wondered why suspension equipped MTBs sell in such huge numbers, a hybrid does exactly the same job that what, 80% of MTB owners use their full suspension bikes for?

Of your choices, I like the Trek, (I also own a 7.3 FX), and the Giant equally. I'd rule out the Scott for the unnecessary suspension.
Agree, hybrids can take on surprisingly tricky terrain, and unless you are a "mud-plugger" will go pretty much anywhere.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Given I can’t test ride one it’s a gamble but I’m looking for some suggestions please for a “dare buy it blind” bike. I’m thinking up to £500 but less would be preferable, I’m not a brand snob, just after best bang for buck.

If you really want the best bang for your buck, you won't bother with buying new at all, but source something secondhand at a fraction of the cost. I haven't bought a brand new bike since 1985 (which I still own), and have no intention of ever buying new again. There is virtually no risk used, because if you get something you can't get on with you should be able to resell it for most if not all what you paid for it. Provided you don't overpay that is.
New bikes depreciate like a stone, so if you cant get on with a new one you've bought, you'll lose between a third and a half of your outlay on resale - even if the thing is in virtually as-new condition.

12boy

Guru
Hybrids are very much like road bikes and touring bikes from the 80's although they may take even wider tires. I can ride my Surly Steamroller as either a single speed or a Sturmey Archer three speed just fine over gravel and dirt roads as long as they are not too steep, using 35 mm tires. A suspended bike weighs lots more, has more to go wrong, costs more and is designed for much gnarlier trails than you have indicated. Perhaps a better term for unsuspended hybrids could be "Jack of all trade" bikes...not the lightest, fastest, best for muddy trails with lots of roots and rocks, but still able to do many things quite well. Commute on crap roads, carry groceries home, ride on gravel roads, cover 50 to 100 miles on a trip, carry up some flights of stairs, all doable. Course, being a Luddite, I would opt fora well made steel mtn or touring bike from the 80s. They, too can do many things well.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Sound reasoning.

A £500 MTB would be an adaptable purchase.

Frames at this price will have features that may not appear on a pure MTB frame, such as bosses for mudguards and a carrier.

Put shallow tread tyres on it - after you've worn out the knobblies - and you would have a hybrid.

Considering an MTB also improves your chances of finding a suitable bike in your size in stock.

Some talk of the Chinese and far eastern factories getting back to normal, but delivery times are still far from certain on a non-stock bike.

Pauls is a well established and reliable retailer of discounted MTBs.

Although I agree with the others, there's really no need to look further than the Trek in your shortlist.

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes/hardtail-mtb/male/adult

Last edited:
I bagged one of these for my son last year as was really impressed, fairly light for the price and well made frame. He loves it and from memory in sale at £400.
new_19-San-Rafael-DS3-2000x1298.jpg

https://www.marinbikes.com/gb/bikes/20-san-rafael-ds3

Don't think I ever test ridden ridden a bike - it just isn't always practical - read the reviews ask other users - learn about geometry. That said I wouldn't rush to buy one now just because a lockdown is on - once you've pulled the trigger the money is gone - it has to be a bike you want........all IMO of course.

Reactions: C R

BigMeatball

I would avoid the trek as I would never want to give money to a brand/company that most likely knew and helped cover the biggest cheat in cycling history. But that's just my opinion.

EDIT: just saw that the cheater owns a small share of Trek. One more reason to avoid them like the plague.

Top Bottom