Buying a cheap car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
The electronicky stuff is easy to work on. It just requires a different set of skills, it ain't difficult. It's a damn sight easier than making a twin choke SU supply the same fuel charge twice in succession.

Crankarm

Guru
I've done exactly this: my Saab convertible went and I bought a Peugeot Tepee. Loads of interior space and surprisingly OK. It's the very basic model so no aircon, satnav, alloys, etc. but it works fine for what I (currently) need a car to do: take my 14yo and myself training and racing. The Saab was at risk of damage from being hit by a falling/moving bike - now it doesn't matter.

By folding down the single rear seat I can slide a bike in and keep 2 x rear, or have 1 x rear and fit 2 bikes in. 3 bikes will roll in with all the rear seats down.

Bear in mind that I've usually got rollers, spare wheels, toolkits and kit bags, etc. due to racing and you've got the idea of interior space.

Yes the extra space would be really useful at this present time as I also have other large stuff to haul around, but the price of them is still way more than I ever paid for a car. What with the bad experience of the lemon that that was the Bravo £4,500 I am reluctant to spend £10k on a fairly new several years old Berlingo Multispace or Partner Tepee. I did look at the older Peugeot Partner for around a grand but as you would expect some have mileages that would correspond with going to the moon and back which has put me off a bit. I just missed one that only had 89k miles, immaculate condition, £850, but it was down in Christchurch Dorset. They seem pretty solid and free of rust though. Some have had a very hard life. But I still very much like my Pug 106.

Thanks for your reply.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The electronicky stuff is easy to work on. It just requires a different set of skills, it ain't difficult. It's a damn sight easier than making a twin choke SU supply the same fuel charge twice in succession.

Land rover can't fix the electronic gremlins so I'm not sure any half handy diy,er will

Cavalol

Guru
Thinking about passing my 12 year old Renault Clio on to my son when he passes his test. Need to replace it with another cheap run around that I can drive for a couple of years and then pass on to my younger son. I do around 3000 miles a year if that. Budget max £2000
Cars bore the pants off me so thought I would start my research by asking those of you more interested in them than me what you would recommend. Is it better to buy older with lower mileage or as new as I can get with higher mileage?

My two pence worth:

Buy on condition, not age.

Check out the seller as much as the car. Ask loads of questions by email (you have it in black and white if it turns out they're dis-honest) and then again in person, see if you can trip them up. If you get a bad vibe, walk away.

If your budget is £2,000, buy something for around £1,500 and then you've got a 'margin of error' for any unexpected repairs or servicing it might need.

Google the seller's name and number, so many sharks about these days.

Everyone will have an opinion of what is or isn't a good car, to the extent it's almost impossible to buy one that someone doesn't have a tale of woe about. We're all different, I cannot abide VW/Audi stuff as the ones I've had have been very poor, other people rave about them.

Take someone with you, even if they don't know about cars. My daughter was 8 years old when she found problems I hadn't spotted (rust and dents) and check every single last bit of the car over and don't forget to do an HPi check.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Yes the extra space would be really useful at this present time as I also have other large stuff to haul around, but the price of them is still way more than I ever paid for a car. What with the bad experience of the lemon that that was the Bravo £4,500 I am reluctant to spend £10k on a fairly new several years old Berlingo Multispace or Partner Tepee. I did look at the older Peugeot Partner for around a grand but as you would expect some have mileages that would correspond with going to the moon and back which has put me off a bit. I just missed one that only had 89k miles, immaculate condition, £850, but it was down in Christchurch Dorset. They seem pretty solid and free of rust though. Some have had a very hard life. But I still very much like my Pug 106.

Thanks for your reply.

If you're buying a diesel, the older 1.9D in those is not particular exciting but if basically maintained will run forever.
The later 1.4HDi 8v is similarly pretty much unburstable with similarly basic maintainance - I had that engine in a C3 and it was still going strong when I sold it at 165k (still with original gearbox, battery, engine ancillaries etc) - according to MOT history it's still going with over 180k on the clock now.

Cavalol

Guru
If you're buying a diesel, the older 1.9D in those is not particular exciting but if basically maintained will run forever.
The later 1.4HDi 8v is similarly pretty much unburstable with similarly basic maintainance - I had that engine in a C3 and it was still going strong when I sold it at 165k (still with original gearbox, battery, engine ancillaries etc) - according to MOT history it's still going with over 180k on the clock now.

The XUD lumps are fantastic, the DW8 still good but not the same level. Another good car for room (especially cycles) is the Kangoo, though the diesels worry me a bit.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Good point. It's difficult to repair electrics that were simply designed badly in the first place. Land Rover are keen to blame everyone and everything for their falling profits, except the dire quality of their products.

frustrating company LR - their products, particularly proper land rovers are very nearly very good: potentially superb, yet wilfullly bad attention to detail - rust badly due to catalytical corrosion, poor. Assembly, questionaable design here and there - and yet, a few, maybe after market, fixes and you’ve a world eating best in class vehicle. Having looked after my ex -mrs’ tdi 200 lwb, I still want another

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
It can be pretty easy to diagnose what an electronicky problem is, it's just the problem of how much that replacement part costs! (as the original electronicky item will not be repairable). Yeah, working on jetting those carbs can be a little tricky :smile:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Yeah, who wants to filter out particulate pollution anyway? I shoot in your lungs! :crazy:
There are of course other issues abroad, but I didn't seek to explore those :smile:

I have the same dilemma - should I scrap a perfectly good car, which is well-maintained - in fact in perfect condition as measured by emissions, in favour of another car. I won't go diesel next, but on balance, until it's unserviceable/beyond economic repair I've elected to continue with it.

Top Bottom