Buying a New road for road use beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nuggs

Regular
hi im looking at these 2 bikes but not sure which one is better may i ask which you would go for please.the boardman is £350 and the triban roughly same price.

Boardman Sport x7 triple butted aluminium
20" x7 aluminium frame
Lock out forks
Tektro hydraulic Disc Brakes
27 speed speed Sram X5 rapid fire gears
700c alloy wheels

the triban rc120
BrakesUnbranded callipers, cartridge brake blocks
CassetteMicroshift 11-34
CranksShimano Tourney 50/34
Fork12K carbon
Frame6061 aluminium
HandlebarTriban alloy
Rear derailleurMicroshift
SaddleTriban ErgoFit
SeatpostTriban alloy
ShifterMicroshift
StemTriban alloy
Tyres28mm Hutchinson Nitro 2
WheelsTriban 700, Aero 28 hubs

Attachments

• boardman bike.jpg
    boardman bike.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 8
  • Triban-RC120-road-bike-1-bafe6ca.jpg
    Triban-RC120-road-bike-1-bafe6ca.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 8

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
They're completely different bikes; the Boardman is a suspension-equipped hybrid and the Triban is a road bike.

It'll depend upon what you're intending to use them for.

vickster

Legendary Member
The thread title suggests they want a road bike for road use.
On that basis, the Triban but it’s a basic spec.

jay clock

Massive member
definitely NOT the Boardman for road use. You might be better off saying what exactly you want to do (as best you can) and we will advise

OP
OP
nuggs

nuggs

Regular
Thank you for the comments I really do want a road, bike I'm looking at the 400 bracket so if there are other recommendations I'd gladly appreciate it,obviously I'm not gonna win any races I just want to be fitter and get the best for my money

OP
OP
nuggs

nuggs

Regular
Sorry should of been clearer the boardman is 2 or 3 yes old discontinued which I can buy for 350 was £600 in halfords

OP
OP
nuggs

nuggs

Regular
I have seen it he said it's a road bike disc brakes etc..and there was a video review which said a good road bike but it looks like il be going doe the triban unless there is a better bike out there for the same sort of money

vickster

Legendary Member
I have seen it he said it's a road bike disc brakes etc..and there was a video review which said a good road bike but it looks like il be going doe the triban unless there is a better bike out there for the same sort of money
You can of course ride it on the roads, and the lockout fork will help, but it’s not a roadbike like the Triban (drop bars, rigid forks, skinny tyres)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Anything with suspension will be a dog to ride compared to a rigid frame, where the rider's effort actually goes into propelling the bike forward not compressing the suspension.
It's bad enough that almost all MTB's at any price level now have some sort of suspension, even though the use most of them are actually put to doesn't require it - now it is creeping into the hybrid market as well. Avoid.

Top Bottom