Buying a used Planet X bike

Buy or Do not buy?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
If you're around 6ft (1m80cm) tall, that bike will be your size. Assuming it's been kept in good condition, it's a good price as it would have sold originally for around £1000 new, probably around 3-4 years ago. Check the wheels as they will be the original ones supplied and beware that it will only take a maximum 25mm tyre if you were hoping to go bigger.

I've the exact same bike with SRAM Rival and it's a very comfortable piece of kit.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
As @Jenkins says, nice spec, looks in good condition so worth the asking price in my opinion.
For a 58cm frame you would really need to be 6ft plus.
A 58cm frame is usually size XL although the seller seems to think it is an L?
You could do with sitting on the bike and trying it for size.

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
As @Jenkins says, nice spec, looks in good condition so worth the asking price in my opinion.
For a 58cm frame you would really need to be 6ft plus.
Hi everyone

I have found a used planet x bike for sale, I am quite new to cycling.
I will link the bike below, the bike is going for £375. I don't really know if it is worth the money.

I would also go see it in person asap.

Any advice please?

More information on the bike is in the advert below.

Here is the bike: https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/planet-x-full-carbon-gents-bike/1328583357

I have this model ,size large I am 5ft 10 Love this bike mainly Summer use. Would recommend you view it and have a test ride.Looks a bargain Three years ago mine cost £100 with Ultegra group set

Slioch

Guru
I also have this model with the full Ultegra groupset, bought 3 years ago for £999. It is Planet X's "Pro Carbon" model.
It's a lovely bike and, providing it is in good condition and been well looked after, I'd say £375 is a good price.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I'm another PX Pro Carbon user and mine is very similar to the one you have linked to. Mine has been totally reliable, so if the bike is in as as new condition (as the seller says) it's worth a look at that price. You might even be able to knock him down a little bit!

Levo-Lon

Guru
Excellent bike, and if its not nicked I'd snap it up.

There really good bike frames, light stiff and problem free as far as I'm concerned
I want to sell my Pro Carbon and seeing that at 375 is not pleasing, though mine has nice wheels.. I guess I'll be lucky to get 500

Levo-Lon

Guru
I am about 6ft3

I have a 52 at 5-8 so you should be OK with the 58cm. They are compact and give the rider more comfort feel, compared to some long frame design bikes

faster

Über Member
Planet X Pro Carbons only go up to a size 56 at the largest (XL) because it's such a compact frame, so it isn't a 58. I think the seller just doesn't know what size it is.

I'm 6'4 and ride an XL. It fits fine and I'd say at 6'3, you'd definitely need an XL - a large would be too small. However, whilst it is difficult to tell from photos, that could very well be an XL.

At that price, the bike is a bargain.

netman

Veteran
Ran a Pro Carbon with Sora group for a couple of years - was a very decent bike... light and responsive and comfortable for the few 100k+ rides I did on it. Sold it last year for around £300 as I'm just not a huge fan of compact geometry. Like others have said, with Ultegra that is a good price and even better if they take an offer!

Top Bottom