Buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stewart

I need about as much help as i can get. I am looking to buy a bike for the 12mile commute to work in London. I am using a bikes for work scheme and am willing to spend up to 800. I think I need a road bike as opposed to a hybrid and quite like the look of the Genisis day 2 but can't find any rider info on this.

Any recommendations or tips given will be gratefully received.

bonj2

i've got a scott road bike and i've been riding it on very shoot roads for over a year and it's still in pretty fine shape.

domtyler

Über Member
My only concern about commuting in London is the roads. you may want to think about the strength of the bike/wheels. As you go up the road bike price scale things get lighter, not necessarily stronger.

The roads can indeed be pretty bad in London. But my bike seems to manage just fine on 23 mm tyres. Have never had a buckled wheel yet. Mind you I try to not just ride through pot holes, but around them. On the few occasions when I have not managed to avoid one it has been a bit of a jolt.

Tynan

Veteran
that's a good budget

I'm about to spend £800 and I've eventually plumped for a Fratello from Condor cycles, hand built and with a free fitting thrown in, everyone seems to love them

there's an alu version if steel isn't what you want

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Not many manufacturers make a straight bar fast road bike like the Genisis day 2, your local bike shop may also have one of the few that do in the Specialized Sirrus range.

These can take full guards and pannier rack and make superb all weather commute bikes, with clearances for 700 x 28 puncture resistant tyres they are well worth considering. The larger clearances are why the Sirrus range have V Brakes; it still has a fast geometry though and makes an excellent mile eating commuter.

Ask your employer about the Ride to work Scheme, it can save you hundreds on an £800.00 bike

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

Stewart said:
I need about as much help as i can get. I am looking to buy a bike for the 12mile commute to work in London. I am using a bikes for work scheme and am willing to spend up to 800. I think I need a road bike as opposed to a hybrid and quite like the look of the Genisis day 2 but can't find any rider info on this.

Any recommendations or tips given will be gratefully received.

Paul_Smith SRCC said:
Not many manufacturers make a straight bar fast road bike like the Genisis day 2, your local bike shop may also have one of the few that do in the Specialized Sirrus range.

These can take full guards and pannier rack and make superb all weather commute bikes, with clearances for 700 x 28 puncture resistant tyres they are well worth considering. The larger clearances are why the Sirrus range have V Brakes; it still has a fast geometry though and makes an excellent mile eating commuter.

Ask your employer about the Ride to work Scheme, it can save you hundreds on an £800.00 bike

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

Mudflaps ... Don't forget the Mudflaps :biggrin: :biggrin:.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
He has a budget of only £800.00, one of your special mudflaps would make it priceless :biggrin:

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

Yorkshireman said:
Mudflaps ... Don't forget the Mudflaps :thumbsup: ;).

Top Bottom