Buying bikes from the Council Tip / Recycling Centre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Viator

Regular
Hi all. Im a brand newbie to the site and a big hello.

I popped into the retail area of my local tip after dropping off some cardboard and waste. They usually have a few bikes there for sale. I thought I might be able to find a do-upper that I could tidy up and maybe sell or give away to a friend.

One was a steel framed road bike ,don't ask me the name as its completely slipped my mind. Some obscure brand but nothing premium, Didn't look anything amazing but gears were the twist handle types and the frame heavy so I suspect a low grade steel. Groupset was in working order but noticed some rust marks around the drop outs, and bearing points, in particular the bottom bracket which concerned me. They wanted £80 for it. Too much of a risk for that price methinks.

What are your thoughts on buying from tips? Only good for cannibalising for spare parts? It concerns me that at my tip they are demanding good money for something that hasn't been properly looked over.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@SkipdiverJohn might be able to suggest a better source...? :whistle:

PS And welcome to CycleChat! :welcome:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A friend's hobby is doing-up skip-bikes. He generally won't spend more than about 20 squid on any one. He has picked up some corkers, including a Dave Yates and a Major Nichols.

8mph

Veteran
My local recycling center charges £5 per bike and at this time of year, while people are clearing their sheds out the pickings are good. Obviously, none of the bikes are rideable, that's why they're there in the first place.

roley poley

Über Member
scrap metal van on your street ?? Have a peep, he may be carrying a bike you can recycle for a few quid before it gets squished

£80 is a bit steep for a tip bike. My local one typically sells stuff for between £20 and £60, although they're not that knowledgeable when it comes to bikes, so bargains can be had if you know what to look for. But patience is definitely required.

It's not an ideal source for buying bikes to do up and sell on tbh... Local small ads are probably a better option.

I bought a bike for £25 from the local tip two years ago, and then ended up throwing £300-worth of parts at it because the original ones were made of cheese / knackered. Ooops. :blush: Mind you, I *do* ride the bike in question a fair bit, and it's totally customized to me, so I'm happy. But I really wouldn't want to be doing that on a regular basis.

OP
OP
Viator

Viator

Regular
My local recycling center charges £5 per bike and at this time of year, while people are clearing their sheds out the pickings are good. Obviously, none of the bikes are rideable, that's why they're there in the first place.

Exactly.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Our local tips all went over to the no selling regime about 10 years ago :sad:
Items are now sold from a few recycling shops around the county .
For £80 look on e bay , gumtree or marketplace .
You can find some good stuff out there just gotta keep looking

As biggys just said. The marketplace can be a good place to look . I have bought 2 really good bikes from there . I have also bought 2 bikes from the same seller on the bay and the marketplace, both were filthy dirty and pretty gummed up with old grease and dirt but have cleaned up to be really good bikes .

Top Bottom