Buying first bike - need help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikenerd

I’ve got three bikes I can choose from and I need help deciding what one is best:

-Carrera Virtuoso
-Carrera Crixus CX
-Carrera Zelos

Thanks

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Neither will be best but if you tell us what's important to you in terms of budget, ability level, distance, terrain etc. then hopefully we can provide pointers on which one should suit your needs.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As above the use to which it will be put to, budget etc is useful.
As a general point I would recommend you choose from the top two as the Zelos, although cheap, has some poor components on it.
So the two left are a road bike and a gravel bike. A gravel bike will have chunkier tyres for unmade paths aand rough ground allowing you to go off the beaten track.
I should pop into Halfords (Carrera is A Halfords house brand) and swing a leg over them, they might even let you take it around outside if you ask nicely.
It's very important to get the right size so I'm hoping there is someone in your local branch that can advise properly.Halfords staff can be a bit hit and miss.

Hello and :welcome: to CC

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The Virtuoso is a slightly better bike than the Zelos. The Crixus is designed for some light off-road use. I've had both a Virtuoso and a Crixus for reference.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@Jameshow - the Virtuoso and Zelos have the same frame, the Crixus a slightly different frame. They've all got different forks and groupsets. Of those either the Virtuoso for road use only, or Crixus for mixed use but the Crixus is very heavy at 15kg.

Alternatively, if you're after a new bike, have a look at Decathlon's Triban 120 at that price point.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
@Jameshow - the Virtuoso and Zelos have the same frame, the Crixus a slightly different frame. They've all got different forks and groupsets. Of those either the Virtuoso for road use only, or Crixus for mixed use but the Crixus is very heavy at 15kg.

Alternatively, if you're after a new bike, have a look at Decathlon's Triban 120 at that price point.

I was wondering how the heck the Crixius gets to 15kg with its spec, the answer is it doesnt, per a review its about 12kg, so similar to the Virtuoso / Zelos.

The best buy of the Carrera's is the Vanquish, for that you get triple butted alloy frame and carbon forks (vs Steel or alu on the others) and same Claris groupset of the Virtuoso, or the Crixus, if you want to do a bit of gravel / light offroad etc.

Compare all 4 linky

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
if your not bothered about disc brakes i would go for the decathlon bike
I have the vanquish for commuting and its ok

edit if you can only choose carrera then the vanquish is the best of the bunch , its a decent bike for the money , be prepared to change the tyres as the come up narrow .

Top Bottom