Buying first 'proper' road bike - advice on choices needed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danhoro

Regular
I have a budget of up to £700, and looking for the best value at that price for something that will serve me well on my daily commute but also good for longer leisure rides.

I seem to have found two options that looked good for the money:

Felt Z85 (wiggle exclusive edition), £599 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-z85-wiggle-exclusive/#tabCustReviews

Jamis Venture Race 2015, £640 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jamis/ventura-race-2015-road-bike-ec072100

Was also looking at a couple of Cannondales in the Evans sale, but they seem to be running out of stock quickly.

Any advice on which of the above you would go for? Or any other suggestions?

AndyRM

XOXO
The Felt would get my vote.

Nearly bought one myself.

andyfraser

Über Member
If I was choosing between those two I'd go for the Felt too. I already have a F95 and it's superb so I'm a little biased towards Felt. The Z85 is better specced than Jamis. It'll probably come down to how many hills you'll have to contend with and how steep they are. The Felt has a lowest gear of 34x25 while the Jamis is 34x28 and should be a little easier on hills. My Felt has a lowest gear of 34x25 and it hasn't caused me any problems but the steepest hill I have to deal with is only 5%.

Your choice will also depend on the roads and how much you're going to carry. You may find you're better off with a CX which will be a similar shape but will probably have lower gearing and take wider tyres which will be more comfortable and better if you plan to go down tow paths or unsurfaced paths or roads.

OP
OP
danhoro

danhoro

Regular
Thanks for replies so far. For those thinking the Felt, what tips it in that favour? 105 over Tiagra?

The Giant Defy 1 looks good but unfortunately not in stock in my size at that price

andyfraser

Über Member
They're both great bikes. As I said above, I already have a Felt and would definitely buy another. That plus 105 over Tiagra for a little less money makes it an easy decision for me.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Go with the one that set your pants on fire, because at the end of the day you want the one you can't resist riding when you look at it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Not much twixt 105 and Tiagra, but if 105 is on the table for a similar budget then why not?

Felt are a moderately small volume seller with a good track record of making road frames that feel 'just so'. A small but rabid following here on CC, and I'm among those ranks.

Cyclist33

I have owned a Felt Z100 and test-rode a Jamis Ventura, neither really worked for me and the Ventura I found rather uncomfortable actually. The Felt was good for looks and it could certainly shift. Did my first century on it with a little help from some bods on here.

I have a Jamis steel bike and wuv it to bits, but of those two you list I would take the Felt because of its clear bargain advantage.

Stu

Top Bottom