Buying first time trial bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian4996

Hi everyone

I'm a regular 'casual' cyclist and have a retro Brian Rourke road bike that I've had for a couple of years and take out at least twice a week.

However, having packed in football this summer, I'm looking to get into competitive cycling, specifically 10 mile time trials. My local club run these regularly with times ranging between about 21 and 29 minutes and I'm looking for a time trial bike that will allow me to compete in these, hopefully in time at the top end rather than the bottom end.

However my budget is quite limited (up to £600 - £700 max). Is this realistic if I look 2nd hand? I've spotted a Focus Culebro Tria 2nd hand for £650. Any opinions / advice on this?

Thanks in advance!

Ian

jcycle

Sharky

Guru
Just ride your current bike, until you have ridden a dozen or so tens. You need to establish your "baseline time" before you start spending. Gains bought from spending are only achieved once, so better to get as fast as you can first, so you will know where improvements come from.

Good luck, you'll enjoy it.

jcycle

It's always good to fit gearing appropriate to your fitness. That may or may not include a 55t chainring, which is an absurd suggestion for a beginner.
you are so right: what was I thinking. I apologies to you and the wider cycling community for my ill thought out irrational comments here

Top Bottom