buying foreign newspapers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Move back to Spain.

Join your local Spanish language club(if there is one) they'll have the solution.

WJHall

Über Member
I have been receiving a copy of Le Monde on Saturdays only for the last 27 years, sent to our local newsagent, whose business subsequently transferred to the Coop. The wholesaler was originally W H Smith, but the business was sold to someone else, and then bought back by Smiths. In principle, if talking to a newsagent who knows his business you can have any newspaper supplied to any reasonable schedule. Larger branches of Smiths probably still put foreign papers on the rack.

The only fly in the ointment is that Smiths are becoming increasingly incompetent about actually sending the paper, although it is always on the delivery note, so our local newspaper manager has to phone up shout at them for a credit. Last week I got one, this week not. I shall find the Coop manager gearing up for her shout on Monday morning. There was a recent newspaper article pointing out that W H Smith incompetence has become a major problem for independent newspapers.

Do not bother with the Co-op, ours is the only one in the country that still does orders. The Coop as a body has forgotten the maxim that a newsagent should always take orders, because it brings a customer into the shop, who might buy something else. Competence has never been the Coops strong suite.

MarkF

Guru
I used to pick up El Pais in Leeds before the shop went pop, now to keep up daily I read stuff online like Marca, if I am interested (like I am in footie) I find it so much easier. I can read a lot more than I can talk.

I agree though, a paper copy is so much more useful.

pjd57

Veteran
Back when people bought papers , there was a tiny newsagents shop in Buchanan Street , Glasgow that stocked that days titles from a load of European countries. Usually from lunch time on.

Paris Soir was my preference.
Good vocabulary builder without being too serious.

Off on a tangent .....took it into work on a night shift.
Mate asks ....is that today's.... yes.

" Has it got s telly page....yes"

He flicks through it. Finds the TV listings then asks

" Whit the *#*# telly channels are they"

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Newsagents near universities tend to stock foreign papers and magazines for the foreign students.

I don't know where you're based but newsagents near/at large railway stations in London (perhaps other large cities) used to have foreign newspapers. Even newsagents in trendy areas, Notting Hill, Hampstead, Kensington etc. also used to them. But I'm remembering back to the '90s so it may be different now.

Also libraries in large towns/cities may have them.

Top Bottom