Buying from abroad post Brexit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Now that we're on our own after Brexit, has anyone any experience of buying goods from abroad?

I've seen some nice Sidi shoes which don't seem to be available over here.
The seller is Deporvillage who are based in Spain.
Anyone bought from them post Brexit?
What extras do you have to pay to get an item shipped to Blighty?

sorry can't help.
But my regular purchases from Rose of Germany are no more.
They can't be bothered with the hassle of sales to the UK.
Can't say I blame them to be honest.
Good job I have good stocks of sensible bits the likes of chain reaction/wiggle wouldn't lower themselves to stock.

Good luck with your query - doubtless someone more helpful will be along.
Any info on the deporvillage web site?
I know some companies are taking care of the paperwork/extra expenses at source - though of course you will pay for it - nowt for free.
I think @rogerzilla has some experience in this area.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Mantel (NL), Bikester (DE) and XXCycle (FR) all work fine post-Brexit. About half of EU bike shops have stopped selling to Brexit Island. Rose, Hollandbikeshop and Das Zweirad are having their lunch eaten by the others. The problem arises when one of these is the ONLY stockist. Das Zweirad has the best selection of obsolete SRAM IGH parts. It helps to have friends in the EU.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes.

A bass guitar from Thomann in Germany. Was expecting grief, but it was all rather painless. Once it arrived in the UK I got the expected email about import duty and handling fees (all expected and accounted for in my calculations) and once paid it arrived a few days later. To within a couple of quid the entire thing cost no more than had I pulled my finger out and ordered it last year.

However, for every tale of smooth sailing like mine there may be one of horror, pain, suffering and death, so just because I was ok don't automatically assume you will be. I think a lot of it comes down to how clued up the seller is with their labelling and form filling (none of which is difficult, but few seem to have taken the bother to figure it out - Thomann sell a lot to the UK so were doubtless motivated to be mindful of the 7 P's).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I ordered an obscure lawnmower part from Germany. Fairly large handling fee and it looked like they had to provide a fair wodge of documentation so fair enough.

Turned out that I'd misdiagnosed it and I didn't need the part anyway. But if you want obscure lawnmower bits motoruf.com are the biz

Top Bottom