buying from outside the EU

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Quickie question.

for cycle accessories, whats the £ limit before I have to start considering import duty etc?

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Hmmm...

Mr Paul, did you edit the wrong post? (mine?:blush:)

Thought it was £18, so its the same 'ball park'

With the $ looking a bit weak, Some deals with free international delivery are looking good

It's £18

HMRC have a webpage on it, entitled 'buying on the internet', although really it's importing stuff not buying on t'web at all

HMRC webpage

If you purchase goods through the Internet you should be aware that customs duty and VAT will be payable, as follows.
  • Customs duty - if the amount of duty is £7 and over.
  • Import VAT - if the value of the goods is £18 and over.

The way it works in practice is that they sub-contract the collection of the duty & VAT to the carrier/import company, who can also charge you a handling/collection fee for doing it.

I bought something from the US last year for $150 plus $30 USPS international shipping, USPS then obviously delivered it to Parcel Farce in Liverpool.
Parcel Farce dropped a card through my letterbox saying I needed to pay the VAT on the $150, no mention of duty, and (IIRC) something like £15 handling fee and they were going to redeliver the following day.
Since the reason I hadn't been in to receive it because I was at work and that would be the case the day after, I rang the number on the card to be told I could either rearrange delivery on one further occasion, Monday to Friday, or could drive to Liverpool and collect from their depot. If I hadn't done either, in 30 days they'd send it back.
I couldn't have it delivered to a post office and then collect and pay the fee there, because Parcel Farce is a different division of the post office. I couldn't have it delivered to work as that was in a different depot's area.
Great !
I ended-up arranging it to be delivered to a neighbour's address and leaving them a cheque to pay the fee.
The UK price was about £185, I ended-up paying something like £108 so it was worth it, it was just Parcel Farce being a complete arse about delivering it.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
My cycle 'puter arrived today from geargurl. Cost me the equivalent of just over £21.
The US customs sticker had a value of $10 written on it.
I'll deal with her again, it was just the wait that got to me but it is Thanksgiving hols over there.

Oh, and the postage on this item was "free". (cost $5)

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
The reason I started the thread was because the advertising googlemail puts up around the screen suggested that Dinotte were doing free international delivery. I started to follow this up, but to tell the truth, I’m pretty much sorted for lights. So my enthusiasm for the hunt kind of waned.

It could be correct.
It could be its correct, but there are some strange exclusions, like your order has to be in excess of $300.

However I figure someone else may be able to benefit, so I’ve now posted the info.

Hope someone figures it out & gets a bargain.

Blonde

I didn't pay anything on a shipment of two saddles from the US earlier this year. They were about £50 each IIRC.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Sorry Gambatte

Who is offering free international delivery?

DiNotte for one, "FREE USPS priority shipping worldwide (Express shipping is reccomended for international customers and is available to all customers at a slightly higher cost during final checkout."

Top Bottom