Buying from US

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Hi, I'm am not quite sure what tariffs and other fees I would have to pay when buying a new bike from US online shop. I know there is an import tariff and then also Vat to be added to the value of bike plus delivery. Can someone clarify how much are these?
Are there any new tariffs related to recent trade wars?
Are these rules fairly uniform across Europe?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As I'm currently sat with the 2019 UK Tariff in front of me (assuming you're in the UK obviously), there's 14% duty on the purchase price of the bike PLUS up to another 48.5% Anti-Dumping Duty for bikes manufactured in China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Cambodia, Pakistan, the Phillipines & Tunisia.

This duty is then added to the purchase price and 20% VAT is charged on that as well.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Bikes are proper to Tariff heading 8712.
As an example - you buy a Thailand origin bike (no Anti-Dumping Duty) for GBP1000
The duty is 14% = 140GBP
Then add the 140GBP to the purchase price of 1000GBP = 1140GBP and 20% VAT on that is 228GBP
Your total duty & VAT is therefore 368GBP on top of the 1000GBP purchase price
There will also be a fee payable (generally around 10GBP) to the courier to complete the Customs declaration on your behalf as well.

OP
OP
E

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Well thank you all for input. When bike order gets here I will let you know how much we're the handling fees

OP
OP
E

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Sorry for double post
I have found a new ritchey breakaway alike bike for 1000usd, just the frame sales for over 1500eur in Europe so even with extra duties I think it is worth a punt

Top Bottom