1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying new wheels

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Moonchester, 1 Jun 2008.

1. Moonchester

Moonchester New Member

If I want to buy a new pair of wheels, what else do I need to buy to enable me to quickly change between two sets - i.e. to remove one wheel with tyres, slot in a new wheel with tyres and pedal off?
    New wheels seem to come without cassettes so I think I need one of those (am I right to assume that if I buy the same cassette as on my existing wheels, I don't need to adjust the gears?) but what else do I need?

2. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

No, that's pretty much it. You'll just have to swap the skewers over, unless you are getting a new set of those as well.

3. Spot on. If you take out a wheel look at it every thing you see you will need.

4. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

Swapping a cassette over onto another wheel is fairly quick with the corrected tools - can be a bit messy though.

Cassette on each wheel even easier

5. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Agreed, but cassettes need to have a similar amount of wear, otherwise you may need to swap chains as well because an old chain on a new sprocket will not work.

6. Moonchester

Moonchester New Member

Cheers all. I'll think about getting a new set of skewers as well.

7. Moonchester

Moonchester New Member

Why's that?

8. walker

walker New Member

they wear at a similar rate, so the stretch on the chain will be the same length as the wear on the teeth on the cassette. a new chain slips some times