Buying new wheels

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Moonchester, 1 Jun 2008.

1. Moonchester

Moonchester New Member

If I want to buy a new pair of wheels, what else do I need to buy to enable me to quickly change between two sets - i.e. to remove one wheel with tyres, slot in a new wheel with tyres and pedal off?
    New wheels seem to come without cassettes so I think I need one of those (am I right to assume that if I buy the same cassette as on my existing wheels, I don't need to adjust the gears?) but what else do I need?

2. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

No, that's pretty much it. You'll just have to swap the skewers over, unless you are getting a new set of those as well.

3. Spot on. If you take out a wheel look at it every thing you see you will need.

4. Disgruntled Goat

Disgruntled Goat New Member

Swapping a cassette over onto another wheel is fairly quick with the corrected tools - can be a bit messy though.

Cassette on each wheel even easier

5. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Agreed, but cassettes need to have a similar amount of wear, otherwise you may need to swap chains as well because an old chain on a new sprocket will not work.

6. OP
    OP
    Moonchester

Moonchester New Member

Cheers all. I'll think about getting a new set of skewers as well.

7. OP
    OP
    Moonchester

Moonchester New Member

Why's that?

8. walker

walker New Member

they wear at a similar rate, so the stretch on the chain will be the same length as the wear on the teeth on the cassette. a new chain slips some times

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice