Buying new wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyfisher5415

I was gifted a beautiful road bike for my birthday by a close friend. The bike was his previously, and I need to buy new wheels for it, I have the old wheels for it, but they are for racing and I do not intend to do this for a long time. I have some questions for buying new wheels, but any other information would be greatly appreciated.
1. Do I need to take the cassette off of the original wheel to use on the new set?
2. If i do use the old cassette, will it fit on the hub of the new wheels, or do I need to buy a hub that will work with the cassette?
Thank you in advance for all the help

Big John

Guru
How many sprockets on the cassette and do you know if it's Shimano, SRAM, campagnolo, etc? You normally just buy another wheel and swap the cassette over but it's a little bit more complicated than that. It would help if we knew what you had at the moment.

Sharky

Guru
What are the wheels and tyres on your "racing" set?
You probably only need to change the tyres for a set more suitable to the type of riding you are doing.

Reactions: C R

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I was gifted a beautiful road bike for my birthday by a close friend. The bike was his previously, and I need to buy new wheels for it, I have the old wheels for it, but they are for racing and I do not intend to do this for a long time. I have some questions for buying new wheels, but any other information would be greatly appreciated.
1. Do I need to take the cassette off of the original wheel to use on the new set?
2. If i do use the old cassette, will it fit on the hub of the new wheels, or do I need to buy a hub that will work with the cassette?
Thank you in advance for all the help

FIrstly, one person's racing wheels are another persons every day wheels, it could be that your existing wheels are fine as they are.

2: Yes you can use the old cassette, or you can buy a new one, I'd probably buy a new one, and yes your new freehub will often be brand specific, so if your existing groupset is 11 speed shimano then you need to purchase a wheelset with a compatible freehub.

You'd get more useful answers if you post details about your bike, make/model, existing wheel model, groupset model etc

For example, you might have: Giant Defy 2014, 10 speed tiagra, Mavic Ksyrium wheels, with Continental Grand Prix 23c tyres.

Top Bottom