Buying Something Decent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theketchupkid

I have a budget of up to £750

I will riding on roads, pavements and the odd dirt trail. This bike is going to be what I take out on weekends, I was thinking maybe a hybrid ? Anyone recommend something the amount of options out there is mindblowing.

I currently commute to work on a muddyfox recoil 26 ( yes I know its awful but I'm emotionally attached to it ) and also have £150 to spend on getting some lights a luggage rack and maybe some new tyres to keep me riding through the winter. Again there are so many options out there I don't know where to start.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why are you riding on pavements?

Go to your local bike shops and see what takes your fancy for your budget. At any given price point, specs tend to be similar. Own brands like Pinnacle at Evans, Boardman at Halfords or Btwin at Decathlon tend to offer slightly better value for money

Doesn’t sound like you need suspension if riding mainly on roads. If you fancy drop handlebars, a CX or gravel bike might be worth researching too.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hybrids cone in many flavours these days from things which are just removed from MTBs to fast road types with skinny tyres. You don't need susser forks, something you might have found out from MF. Get down to your LBS and try a few out and find what suits.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Does a Cube hardtail suit? You can lock out the forks and use slick MTB tyres during the week and your knoblies at the weekend.

I bought a cheap Acid and it has been great. In the old days when I only had one bike, I would have been quite happy commuting on it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Even so in some case's they are safer than riding on roads
Safer for pedestrians? Are Runcorn roads really that bad where you can’t ride on them anywhere?! In which case, a tank might be better than a hybrid bike :ohmy:

tom73

Guru
Some take the pee a guy down our street now cycles to work on a lump of a hybrid. He ride's 1/2 up the street then mounts the pavement and stay's on it all way to work. On way home the same but come's all way down the street free wheeling with no hand's (we live on hill cut in two by a blind bend) Anything coming and he will be gone, anyone crossing the road and he'd take them out for sure. Without much trouble you can do 20-25mph down it.
I've had a word or two he almost got me the dog the other day as he mounted the pavement.

Top Bottom